The SLR's of the 80's

hearts0075

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have took an interest in 35mm SLR cameras, and collecting a lot! I have the Minolta X-700, with the flash, omg I just love it! Than now I am going in for the Pentax of that same line, I didn't even know that Vivitar such a simple line has so many including the 220, with the amount of lens these guys have, you wonder how DSLR's originated from? Boy being a photographer sure has the upper hand in collecting besides amateurs and hobbyists. I have 2 DSLR'S bodies and 7 lens, but added to the film ones I have yet to collect more, these things are amazing! Dont you all agree?

You wouldn't be ADhD by any chance, would you? Because you made my head spin trying to read that.
And you "... have taken an interest..." You really could re-write that so I can actually read it... it's pretty bad.
The gist? I think you like playing with older film cameras and are wondering where DSLR's originated. Answer: it's pretty well documented. There's a wikipedia for that.
Most of us who have been around shoot at least a little bit of film ranging from 35mm to medium format...

Welcome to the group!

So sorry, was just trying to express an interest in film photography and start a talk to learn from others, that's all.

I have took an interest in 35mm SLR cameras, and collecting a lot! I have the Minolta X-700, with the flash, omg I just love it! Than now I am going in for the Pentax of that same line, I didn't even know that Vivitar such a simple line has so many including the 220, with the amount of lens these guys have, you wonder how DSLR's originated from? Boy being a photographer sure has the upper hand in collecting besides amateurs and hobbyists. I have 2 DSLR'S bodies and 7 lens, but added to the film ones I have yet to collect more, these things are amazing! Dont you all agree?

Yes.. Gear is nice

I shoot with mostly film cameras from the 80's (although, I throw in some from the 50's, 70's, and 90's as well) so yeah, i'd agree.

Get yourself A Pentax K1000 for true simplicity

The X-700 rocks! Out of all of the 35mm cameras I've used, that one was my first and remains to this day my favourite. You have good taste :)

I have a Nikon EM from the early 80s, it's a great camera too, very simple for an SLR. Just be careful on what you buy, make sure it's in decent working order.

The SLR which really started and later dominated the professional 35mm SLR market was the Nikon F and Ftn. Get your hands on a F or Ftn and you're holding history. Every major news event from the 1960's to the early 1970's was recorded with a Nikon F/Ftn. From war to the Olympics to riots to championship games ... all of it, the entire history of the world during this time was documented with a Nikon F/Ftn. Ponder that ...

Gary

What do you guys think about the Canon T50?

Its just my personal opinion but the T series really didn't appeal... with the exception of the last one,T90, which shared a lot of concepts with the up coming EOS cameras. IIRC the early T series had limited exposure modes and relied on auto everything as a selling point.

in short.. I think you can find better.

I owned a number of 1980's cameras...the first was the Yashica FX-3, a match-diode camera a LOT like a Nikon FM or a Pentax MX, but without a DOF preview lever or button. I LOVED its bright, easy-to-read LED metering system. That camera has a very SOFT, soft, almost "squishable"leatherettte type covering. I had a 50/1.7 (?) with it, and a 135/2.8 Yashica/Contax name-brand lens. I owned a Pentax MX system and 4 lenses for a short while before flipping it and making a heck of a profit.The paper had a pool loaner, and litlte ME SUper....ugh!!! Busted film advance was the big problem for the ME Super...I shot some Canon AE-1 Program back then too...never did like its plastic feel and the shutter speed dial that ALWAYS accidentally crept when the camera's film advance was used...

I then bought a Nikon FM, an early model, with a Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f/2.8 Vari-Focal lens....zOMG, what a monstrous zoom lens THAT was back then!!! I then got an FE-2, and then my third nikon, a minty F, with the last finder, the Photomic FTN (all-caps) and a nice 50mm f/2 Nikkor. Then I bought an F3-HP with MD-4, and liked that. Bought an FE, but sold it---nice camera, but the FE-2 seemed to be a better camera. I then later bought an FM-2(n) from an elderly woman...and when IO moved back in 1991, I bagged it with dessicant bags and in a ziplock and stuck it in a moving box...and then did not see or touch the camera for 15 YEARS!!!!!!!!! yeah, there were some nice cameras around back in the eighties! And some good music too! I bought a GF I had a used Nikkormat, one that had the battery hidden under the mirror inside!!! My later GF had a Pentax Program Plus, a neat little camera.

Between the Pentax K1000 and the Nikon EM, I don't know what to choose? Can anyone help me out with that?

Most reactions

Back