The SLR's of the 80's

Just grabbed this FM2 last week!

Nice camera, nearly indestructible, simplicity itself. All the battery does in that is power the meter.

when I was a kid my dad let me play with his FM to keep me occupied in church. i'd literally stick my finger through the shutter and let it close onto it!

This was the same FM I used in college, and, aside from fingerprints on the shutter blades, it worked perfectly.

So yeah, these old nikons are solid.

The national camera exchange is a nice place, but have yet to buy from them. They do have a lot of selection especially in the film camera category. Adorama and B&H is just as good.

I wouldn't buy anything but used from national camera exchange, their new stuff is usually overpriced.

I had two great members on this forum site who have donated film cameras to me, Mully and 2fastlx, they both gave me a Nikon 2020 and a canon ix lite. Two great members and two great film cameras. I want to thank the both of them!

Just grabbed this FM2 last week!

Nice camera, nearly indestructible, simplicity itself. All the battery does in that is power the meter.

when I was a kid my dad let me play with his FM to keep me occupied in church. i'd literally stick my finger through the shutter and let it close onto it!

This was the same FM I used in college, and, aside from fingerprints on the shutter blades, it worked perfectly.

So yeah, these old nikons are solid.

So you've been sticking your fingers where they don't belong for a long,long time now!!! lol

If anyone on here has a old lens kicking around for a Nikon film camera, I'd be interested in buying it. Please let me know, thanks!

I just missed out...brought my first SLR in 1990, a Pentax P30T...served me well though.

I had two Zenit - the second one because shutter failed on the first. Still owning the latter, and using its lenses on my 60D. By the way, their weight was the reason for abandoning SLRs in favour of compacts until some year ago - about 1kg...

I mostly have my tlr with me these days BUT, my XG-1 is my go-to 35 still. however my personal favorite was my DTL1000 Mamiya which was 60's but the best dang camera I have ever owned. Unfortunately, even after surviving all the abuse I put it through it couldn't survive a nasty rollover in my ford probe on a country highway. /cry

on a lighter note, here's a few of mine

$71944-albums46-picture33344.JPG$71944-albums46-picture33346.JPG$71944-albums46-picture33340.JPG

This was a time of new materials that manufactures were experimenting with. One of these were plastic's. It was new and easy to mold and form. But most of these plastic were hard and brittle. But it was cheap with little overhead to make make besides your steel alloys. Some of these devises from this era hasn't held up to good and cameras are no exception. In high school in the mid 80's I trained on a Minolta x370. I really loved this clunky steel body. Not much plastic on this thing. So over time I found one on ebay. And now the prices of lens are really cheap. I know the Digital age has swept in everything. But my old X370 will shoot in any temps. And getting back to the basics on a manual just helps me to enjoy all the automation more. I fell now most folks just take more bad shots because its just a delete button away. But getting out and shooting all manual from time to time. It just forces one to compose a better shot. And besides, just feeling all the gogs and webs working when that shutter is released on the manual camera is a warm feeling all over.

For any who wants an older camera. I just seem to be wary when I see 'untested, or Excellent' and you read and it has serious issue followed again by untested. Most of these old cameras didnt have large battery packs or even a battery at all. So why not test them out first before posting an item. So just ask plenty of questions before hand. Alot of these sellers are finding these cameras dirt cheap or getting them for free and have no idea what they have other than it looks expensive. Some of these cameras can hold alot of unseen damage that will cost alot to repair or parts may not be on the market anymore. So all you will end up with is a large paper weight. Don't let this discourage you in buying one of these gems. But dont get suckered either by forking over your $$$$ for someone elses troubles either.

View attachment 29376View attachment 29377
My father came out the other day with this little thing:: after all this time he was like oh those cameras you like with the lens changing capability stuff? I have one that takes 35 mm film...

gee thanks dad::
not sure what kind of camera it is...but is there an adapter for a canon t4i for these lens's?
Dont you just love family for holding out on you sll these gems?

Most reactions

Back