The SLR's of the 80's

Please explain (or illustrate) the "crop factor"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
The crop factor refers to the size of the imager or digital sensor that acts as the "film" in a digital camera. The common differences are as follows to the best of my recolection. The full frame Canon, Nikon, and others are a sensor that is the same size (or very close) to a 35mm film negative. Therefore, all the SLR camera lenses and all digital lenses ddesigned for this sensor size, will yeild a full frame photo, no crop or difference. IE: on a Canon DSLR if you have lenses left from a 35mm film EOS camera, chances are they will work and yield full frame results. The same lenses will fit a crop frame DSLR but will have a magnification of 1.6 on a canon camera. SO, using a full frame lens, like a Canon EF series lens on a crop sensor camera you must multiply the focal length by 1.6. For example, a 70~200 becomes a 112~320. For Nikon and most others the sensor is 1.5 crop so you can do the math. I also might add the lenses designed specifically for the crop sensor cameras will usually not even fit on a full frame camera. As a result you have to be careful buying a lens if you have a full frame camera you have to watch out because a lot of ads say for Canon and don't specify for the crop sensor mount.

Well then. I have a Phoenix 19-35 3.5 - 4.5. Which will become a 30.4 - 56 on an APS-C sensor.
Probably would be on the camera a lot.
A Sigma 28-105 4 - 5.6 that will become a 44.8 - 168.
And a Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 that will become a 112-480

Things COULD be so much worse.

Budget is such that things won't get a lot better either.

Nothing wrong with it just be forwarned. I actually get use out of my FF lenses on a crop body...longer focal length FREE!

It's EF versus EF-S for the Canon lenses. EF will fit all EOS cameras and shouldn't have any issues other than the slight magnification on the APS-C bodies. The EF-S is designed for the APS-C and will not fit on the full frame EOS bodies; film or digital. So the "universal" body would be the APS-C as it'll fit both EF and EF-S lenses. The "universal" lens would be the EF as it'll fit both FF and APS-C bodies.

Agree. And APS-C is all I will possibly be able to get.

Unles you find a good 5D, as in non MKII or MKIII....you can pick them up for 3~400 in excellent condition. And they are full frame and around 20mp. NO VIDEO though but neither is a 40D. I LOVE MY 40D! And of course my 5DMKII.

My family is scraping and bumping along.
Living paycheck to paycheck.
I guarantee you $350-$450 AIN'T gonna happen. I'm giving a lot of thought to jumping to Nikon. Looking at D200.
Looking at EBay for AF 35mm with lenses.

Drop me a msg if you decide you want a D200. I have one in Excellent condition I'd be willing to sell.

Hold on to it if you could. We are still scraping and bumping along.

I have a Nikon EM from the early 80s, it's a great camera too, very simple for an SLR. Just be careful on what you buy, make sure it's in decent working order.

I have had two, and oddly enough, I had to replace the light seals on both of them. Otherwise, they were fine. And yes, it was a very competent camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back