The softness of a horses eye is enough to warm even the coldest of hearts...

I can appreciate that fact that you like the eye, along with the rest of the horse, but here there are too many competing elements. The bridle and white spot each tend to draw the viewer's attention from the eye. A different frame/background could be what this needs.

/\ agree. The bridle and the big white patch (fur?) are detracting.

I tried to get a shot like this when I photographed a horse too...harder than you would think! I think a shallow dof is important. There are some good examples on google

^yes, the mane is distracting, it might be worth trying a bullseye composition, crop the right side so it's almost square with the eye in the centre.

Last edited:
You are brave to get that close to such a deadly animal.

But yes the buckle is a bit distracting. Maybe a color version would shine.

I think the buckle is necessary as a balancing element. The eye by itself is boring. A tighter crop of some sort could help, I think:

$foo.jpg

but ultimately I think changing the angle of view a bit with an eye to placing the eye and the buckle in a good relationship to one another would improve this rather more.

What if you go the other way? The metal on the tack is bright, so maybe bring it down a bit. But maybe just a bit more of the face would be a compliment. Not so much to detract,, but enough to show his elegance. What's it look like with a portrait crop? And come on you wimps, getting that close to such a deadly animal? They should be respected for sure, but deadly is not the first adjective I think of.

I think the buckle is necessary as a balancing element. The eye by itself is boring. A tighter crop of some sort could help, I think:

View attachment 45676

but ultimately I think changing the angle of view a bit with an eye to placing the eye and the buckle in a good relationship to one another would improve this rather more.

I like this, feels much more balanced. Unfortunately, trying to get this shot on a brown and white coloured horse (patches), without a head collar is impossible!

It wasn't meant as a natural shot, it was a day to day shot, the eye, the head collar, the detail.

I completely agree about the white patch, but the owner wanted it in to show that she is coloured, otherwise it just looks as though she is a bay horse :/

Most reactions

Back