The sony alpha, and ISO

yeah, thats sort of what i was thinking, and plus not much air comes out with them on, and i'm sure theres a lot of dust in the bristles too

Careful though, some manuals warn you not to use blower brushes because they may scratch the sensor surface

here what the manual says-

"if there is dust on the CCD, use a commercially available blower brush and clean the CCD following the steps below. You can easily brush the dust away using only the blower brush and the anti-dust function.
*random steps not involving cleaning*
5- use the blower brush to clean the CCD surface and the surrounding area"

then down at the bottom of the page in small print is - "Do not touch the CCD with the tip of the brush. Complete the cleaning quickly."

i really dont know waht to make of this...

Hahaha. Badly-put and contradicting instructions ftw :p

The manual for my D50 cautions against the use of a blower brush at all. I recommend you just use a blower first, then consider other options only if the blower doesn't work. Better safe than sorry :)

kyle-(assuming thats your name)- the sony manual has a diagram of the blower brush and its the cheap kind that comes with cleaning kits. its wierd that they suggest using that, because i thought it seemed kinda risky or at the least, just ineffective... i actually took the bristle tip off making it basically a rocket blower, didnt do much though... i just dont have the air pressure... let me know how that rocket works though, i'm thinking of getting one but dont want to waste money on it if its not going to do the job

Hey shorty.
I had the same problem with my sensor and dust( yeah right that sensor shake is a bunch a stupid Chit).
I bought a off brand pocket rocket and it took care of the dust spots just fine.You can generate quite a wind with that rig.
Good luck either way.:thumbup:

wth is a pocket rocket! o___0

probably not what you're thinking funky... lol

dont jump to conclusions shorty...maybe thats what he uses to clean his ccd...lol but yeah today i was stupid and had to explain how a shutter works on a camera....i set it to bulb and snapped some shots with the lens off...needless to say i have dust on my ccd now, im bummed. time to drive 40 miles to the nearest camera shop.

where do you live again?

I use sony and I have no problem with noise even at 800 iso

i sadly live in the middle on no where on mthood in oregon.

annnnd the 7d isnt the alpha 100's big brother, its the otherway round blah! just wait till the A1 comes out.

Sorry just have to disagree there... the 7D is the 'big brother' of the 5D, while the the Alpha 100 is more like a successor to the 5D; the 7D is bigger, better built and has more dedicated controls. The Alpha just has more megapixels and other developments.

As for sensor cleaning, I find the most effective way of shifting dust is just to blow air (from one of the squeezy ones already described, not compressed canned air) with the camera/sensor facing down. Once you start actually touching it with anything I think you're more likely to deposit dust or dirt than to clean it.

is it ACTUALLY better built, or is it just bigger and heavier without a good reason? (i honestly dont know, i've never really learned much about the 5 or 7d cameras, just wondering)

The dust isn't actually on the CCD tho.
The CCD has a filter infront of it, which isn't actual that fragile and doesn't scratch with the slightest touch. Yes, you still have to be careful with it, but.... come on :p

I usually use my big rocket blower for a good few minutes with the camera upside down for any dust to fall out. If theres still anything left then I use a cotton swob to lightly brush over areas where I can see dust is stuck. And as said above you might be putting dirt back on, so I only swipe once with each end of a swob.

is it ACTUALLY better built, or is it just bigger and heavier without a good reason?

Magnesium alloy :)

Also being bigger and heavier can sometimes be a good reason in itself, depending on the lens/flash stuck to the camera. Plus it just has the extra control dials, dedicated buttons etc... those are the reasons I bought the 7 film camera, of course I don't know if I could have justified buying the 7D at its original price for the same reasons.

Most reactions

Back