The Spectacular Bridge in Lisdoonvarna - Was it worth it?

nossie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.quitealright.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This weekend we took a short break in the west of Ireland. It's in County Clare, an area called "The Burren" and we stayed in a wee town called Lisdoonvarna. We had a meal and a few drinks in the Irish Arms. The pub was covered in photographs, mostly Irish sports but on the way out this one taken in 1921 caught my eye primarily because of the architecture (I've an engineering mind)...
spectacular_bridge_1921.jpg

Afterwards I thought it was great that a photo from 1921 was still on display today and I wished the same to happen to one of my shots a hundred years down the line. I asked about the bridge and the locals were keen to steer me in the direction. Taking whatever conditions were available (winter trees and cloudy skies) I said I'd make bid for a shot. So in my new suit and lovely Italian shoes I climbed down the side of the bank through mudd and mulch, took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pants to my knees, and using the tripod as a crutch made my way down the icy river a bit to get these shots...

1. With girls because there are people in the original.
spectacular_bridge_2007_with_girls.jpg

I was trying to get to the original shot location but I was working only from memory of the original with a few beers and I couldn't go further down the river because I wasn't wearing appropriate clothing. The shots are 350d with 24-105L, it's the widest I have.

Later back at the pub I told the owner what I had done. I said I would send him a copy and maybe if he thought it was good enough he'd hang it on the wall for me (maybe for another 100 years), he was enthusiastic about the idea.

What do you guys think? Is it worthy to be hung on the man's wall or do I have to go back again?

Shots have been straightened a tad based on the bridge right side vertical line with the CS3 RAW straightening tool and the Saturation was boosted to about +10 because everything is so grey

Depends on how closely you wanna copy the old one. If you want to really emulate it, go back, get on the other bank, and shoot from further away.

Either way, the bottom of the image is just too heavily in shadow. Perhaps if you'd had a grad ND filter you might be able to do something with it, but as for now it just looks overly drab, and like a snapshot. The branch at the top is also very distracting.

Thanks Max. You got my brain out of the woods on that one.
I'm not sure that I can get the exact same shot because 86 years of unkept growth means the original photographers location is no longer accessable so I think I'll try for something complimentary. I'll also bring the 16-35 and some waders.
Look downstream...
spectacular_downstream_small.jpg

I'll try for better light too because the grey bridge on grey sky is dull.
Photoshoped - added blue sky, made foreground 2 stops lighter
spectacular_artificial_sky.jpg

Anyway all is not wasted... we'll call that a research run.

Most reactions

Back