The Switch....

68Whiskey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brinkerphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I am pretty much a loyal Canon user, although I have been looking into a Nikon D3.

Basically so far I have a Rebel XT (Paid $675 for) the 20D I am borrowing, a 70-200 F/2.8L without IS (I paid $975.99 for), a 550ex (I paid around $250.00 for this), and the kit lens that came with the XT. That is about all the Canon equipment I own.

Would I be completely INSANE to try and sell all this (I know I will take a loss on some stuff) and switch to Nikon?

I am sure there are other topics like this, but I wanted to get a more broad opinion.

For my own knowledge, why are you considering the switch? I'm just wondering because I haven't bought any gear yet, but I'm pretty set on Canon... And I'd prefer to get it right the first time 'round!

(and I know, Canon vs Nikon is anever ending story; it's all a matter of preference, but...)

Sorry all ,I would get the MK III and save your lenses that 70-200 2.8 is hard to beat and you put it on the MK III ! what else can i say

For my own knowledge, why are you considering the switch? I'm just wondering because I haven't bought any gear yet, but I'm pretty set on Canon... And I'd prefer to get it right the first time 'round!

(and I know, Canon vs Nikon is anever ending story; it's all a matter of preference, but...)
It will never end how could some one with 10,000 in Nikon gear say yea go for the Canon ! doesnt happen very often and thats fine its called loyalty i guess

So, I am pretty much a loyal Canon user, although I have been looking into a Nikon D3.

Basically so far I have a Rebel XT (Paid $675 for) the 20D I am borrowing, a 70-200 F/2.8L without IS (I paid $975.99 for), a 550ex (I paid around $250.00 for this), and the kit lens that came with the XT. That is about all the Canon equipment I own.

Would I be completely INSANE to try and sell all this (I know I will take a loss on some stuff) and switch to Nikon?

I am sure there are other topics like this, but I wanted to get a more broad opinion.

Why do you think you would need a D3 out of curiosity?

The overall specs of the Nikon D3 look far superior than the Mark III, and the Mark III right now has that focus issue that still isn't fixed.

Why do you think you would need a D3 out of curiosity?

I do a lot of sport photography, mostly indoors - so a higher ISO with little noise is a must, not to mention the FPS is a must as well.

The overall specs of the Nikon D3 look far superior than the Mark III, and the Mark III right now has that focus issue that still isn't fixed.

I do a lot of sport photography, mostly indoors - so a higher ISO with little noise is a must, not to mention the FPS is a must as well.

Got it. Just gotta make sure that you're using at least f/2.8 glass on it. Have you considered the MkII? They're on B&H, used, for about $2300.

Na if you get one that still does I would be very very surprised ,but that realy was a relativly easy fix dont let that scare you off ,Besides last I heard it was a fiixed problem at this point

well, if you have serious reasons, then do it. If you are in doubt, you probably do not have serious reasons.

Just make sure you are not a specs geek who will switch again in a years time when another manufacturer comes with a camera with specs which you think superior. And then again in two years time. And again and again. Do not laugh, some people do that and ruin themselves.

I would never switch based on specs, I would always try out both systems for a couple of days. after all you are about to invest a lot of money, so do invest in some testing beforehand.

I have sarted listing my items on eBay, so hopefully all goes well. I have been shopping around for my D3 and have come with the setup I plan to order.

Nikon D3
Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF
Nikon Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF
Nikon SB-800 with a Quantum Turbo Battery

That is my list to buy so far.

Most reactions

Back