The Tarahumaran Life Style

Thetrevolution

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings! This is my second post here, so I decided I should share some pictures. These are from a mission trip I went on last summer to the Copper Canyon region with my church. All shot with a two hundred dollar digital camera, so sorry if they are not up to par with the 12 mega pixel DSLR pictures you might be used to seeing. We went to three Tarahumara villages and one Mexican city. The Tarahumara Indians are a group that moved mostly up into the mountains when their land was settled by Spaniards. The Tarahumara live a simple life, and shy away from all kinds of technology. I could go on about them, but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

I seem to be emotionally attached to quite a few of these pictures, because of the memories in them, so it was hard for me to narrow down the 300+ pictures to anything lower than 27. It was actually really hard to pick just that many. My being new, Im not totally sure what the picture limit per post is, so if needed I will cut this post up a bit. It shouldn't be too slow, I resized the pictures to be pretty small. Oh and comments and critics are welcome. I am planning on majoring in Photojournalism, so I can do this and get paid (hopefully) so all comments are appreciated.

A tarahumaran girl apprehensively checking the group out.

Traditionally dressed Tarahumara woman.

Boys waiting in line for shoes. My group brought up hundreds of pairs of shoes, and clothes for the Tarahumara.

More children waiting in line.

The leader of Raramuchi. He would walk around and make sure that everyone was treated justly.

A group of Tarahumara women. The women were segregated at all times from the men, they were not even allowed to speak to one of us unless we asked permission for them to talk from one of the men.

Just another family meeting along the edge of a 200 foot cliff.

More children.

A small child back from gathering the makings of a basket for her mother.

The little girl's mother weaving a basket.

Bible study for the kids.

The sunrise ontop of Raramuchi. That's not fog- those are clouds.

Picture of the valley below. I took this on my tippy toes on the edge of a huge cliff leaning off and holding onto a tree. I'm not the safest person.

The home of a traditional Tarahumaran farmer.

Tarahumara children walking us back to the village after a hike.

Bubbles in the Mexican city of San Rafael.

Which do you like better?

OR

The countryside of the fourth village we went to. I cant remember its name off the top of my head.

Basically the cutest little girl ever.

The Tarahumara performing for us.

Grandma Tarahumara

Casey, from our group, and Manuel Gonzalez, a local, breaking the language barrier with music. Manuel Gonzalez was blind at birth, yet learned how to play the guitar at the age of 7, and at 24 is one of the best acoustic guitar players I have ever heard.

Cotton candy is delicious.

Thanks for sharing this with us! I really enjoyed looking through your series. Some of those shots would probably look great in B&W. Your reportage is a worthy cause!

Great series, thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back