The time has come!

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen my thread about me going on vacation and wanting a new lens to bring with me.
Well I checked some accounts and noticed I will only have about $300.00 to spend on a lens which I know is rough. I was first thinking the siggy 10-20 but too expensive online, haven't seen one on Clist so. The other options i'm looking at now are maybe the 35mm 1.8 which runs about $300.00.
The other being the 50mm 1.8. Now I know it will NOT af with my D40x, for an on-the-go lens having to MF on the go, would that post as a problem as a walk around lens?
I mean I have used MF before don't get me wrong but for only $150.00 can it be that bad.
Just curious as to what some of you would do. My trip is only 39 days away so.

Option1: af-s 35mm 1.8 for around $300.00
Option2: af-d 50mm 1.8 for around $150.00
Option3: hsm 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for around $400.00

The 35 will do two things for you the 50 won't. It will autofocus on the D40, and offer a wider field of view. Both will more than Likely come in very handy in a vacation type setting.

My .02

sell a kidney, donate sperms, pick up dog poops, eat ramen noodle for the next 39 days. There is a way man :).

Ok.. eat ramen noodle for 39 days lol That should save you a bunch ;)

I agree with Schwetty, do whatever you have to to get what you think you need. Sell something if you have to, don't let $100 stop you from getting what you think you need. Not to point out the obvious, but the 10-20 is a much different lens than the other 2 so if it will fulfill your needs then that is a more logical choice, especially since you have an 18-55 already. Rent one if you have to.

Also, manual focus (at least with canons) is not all that easy with new bodies, unless you have a split prism focusing screen (I think that's what it's called). Newer bodies are kinda made to work with autofocus and it's hard to get accurate manual focus, at least in my opinion. Try using the lenses you have now in mf just to see how practical it is.

Hmm good point. I guess what i was looking for is a fast yet decently wide angle lens which I cannot afford. ie. tokina 11-16 f/2.8. The next best thing to a wide angle is the 10-20. Then again it's not fast.
So I was looking at the 35mm 1.8.
Just don't know what to do.

Yeah I saw an add on the buy/sell section for the sigma for $360.00 but somebody else got there first :grumpy:
I think I might jusy opt and go for the 35mm 1.8, it's going to AF with my D40x, and won't break my budget. It's fast and hopefully wide enough for my needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back