The Tipping Point

PlanetStarbucks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I debated on how to display this super wide panorama, and settled on doing it in whole and two peices. It's six frames across, about 9:1 ratio. So here's the full image at 2500 wide:

SLCStormPano21.jpg

And then, for detail, the two peices...left and right:

SLCStormPanoRight.jpg

SLCStormPanoLeft.jpg

So, yeah. You can see my house in there :) HA. Anyway, was driving home through a thunderstorm and thought it might be a great chance to try and get lightning. Went up to a bluff behind the capitol when that happened. I probably shot about 500 in the two hours I was up there. The light kept changing and it just got better and better. 6 frames wide, 8 exposures per frame...so 48 images all blended into that.

C&C of course...I lost clarity due to some crazy wind buffeting my tripod around. Overall though...I think I'm pretty happy with it. More to come, obviously. Took me several hours to get that one, I expect the others will also be hefty on time.

Nice work! I'd say it was time well spent for an amazing shot like that. I love the 2 completely different skies and how they merge. Thanks for sharing!

I say leave it as one... and do a HUGE print.

I'm getting into this whole metal-printing thing, and the backlit tones you'd get would really set it off.

You'd spend a fortune on it though, really worth it.

Incredible work and capture. The best weather is often the worst weather.

I favor the right photo, just for more balance.

That was great, I really like how the sun is setting in half the photo, while in the other have they are "oblivious" to what is happening on the other side :) Great job, wonderful colors!

Wow...an overwhelming response. Thanks all. Feels good to be producing something that can cause a reaction, lol. I really wish I could show you all more of this one, but it's problematic when the image is 26000 pixels wide and even in compressed JPG takes up 40mb.

I would kill to have this printed on aluminum, but it looks like that would probably cost between 500 and 900 dollars depending on the height. I'm thinking I'll do a metallic print. Does anybody know any printers that do metallic on a bigger size? It seems like Nationsphotolab is the best one I found. They can print 12x36s...so that would be three prints across. Does anyone know someone that can print taller? Like 16x48s? I'm doubtful, but if they're available I'd probably find the money to make it work.

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to edit the photo?

I think what makes this shot really outstanding, besides the technical aspect, is the fact that you have both cool and warm skies in the image. Would make a great large print for many offices!

Wow...an overwhelming response. Thanks all. Feels good to be producing something that can cause a reaction, lol. I really wish I could show you all more of this one, but it's problematic when the image is 26000 pixels wide and even in compressed JPG takes up 40mb.

I would kill to have this printed on aluminum, but it looks like that would probably cost between 500 and 900 dollars depending on the height. I'm thinking I'll do a metallic print. Does anybody know any printers that do metallic on a bigger size? It seems like Nationsphotolab is the best one I found. They can print 12x36s...so that would be three prints across. Does anyone know someone that can print taller? Like 16x48s? I'm doubtful, but if they're available I'd probably find the money to make it work.
Try bayrose, or bayphoto.
I do metalprints from them.

You can do a variety of sizes, even custom sizes.

Custom 16 x 48 would be $192.

Maximum size is 43 x 96

Most reactions

Back