The TPF Great Gear Give-Away continues....

OP
480sparky

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Jeez.. son! You iz Procrastinatin on dis... we'all gonna get old en die afore you finish this up!! ;) lol!

Well, I posted this on the 12th, and said I'd run it for 2 weeks. So, last time I went to skule, that's 12+14=26. Today's the 24th, so 26-24 = 2 more days.

Cool! I see you can still use that Abacus also! ;)

Nah, I ciphered that in my head, Pa.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
480sparky

480sparky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
And the winner is.......................

Last edited by a moderator:

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Congratz phnoob.

yay for random. yay for me sucking at random. lol.

Have fun with them.

SamSpade1941

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
very cool and congrats to phnoob !! :) sparky you are a good man for doing this type of thing.. kudos to you sir.

phnoob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Awesome!! Thank you so much, 480sparky! I will put them to very good use!

pixmedic

I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
random number generator eh? complete with video to show it was unbiased. very well thought out 480sparky. I wonder if that system would work for me as well. im kinda torn, part of me likes the idea of the human equation of the decision making process taken out, but part of me feels that there needs to be genuine thought and purpose behind the decision for the effect the donated equipment has on the recipient to be maximized.

OP
480sparky

480sparky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, the issue I have is Member A may be a more 'proper' recipient, but Member B is simply a better writer as to why they should receive it. And I don't think someone should be chosen based solely on the eloquence of their prose.

BTW, phnoob has let me know his address, so I'll get 'em shipped out later this morning.

pixmedic

I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, the issue I have is Member A may be a more 'proper' recipient, but Member B is simply a better writer as to why they should receive it. And I don't think someone should be chosen based solely on the eloquence of their prose.

BTW, phnoob has let me know his address, so I'll get 'em shipped out later this morning.

well, I AM a sucker for good spelling!
consider this however...if they are all indeed equally deserving, then there is technically nothing wrong with you giving it to the person that amused you the most with their request. In all reality it really doesn't matter WHO you give it to since its free stuff. Maybe someone that put the most effort and thought into their request is someone who will put the most effort and thought into its use! :mrgreen:
im totally not being serious here. or am I? :greendev:

OP
480sparky

480sparky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
well, I AM a sucker for good spelling!
consider this however...if they are all indeed equally deserving, then there is technically nothing wrong with you giving it to the person that amused you the most with their request. In all reality it really doesn't matter WHO you give it to since its free stuff. Maybe someone that put the most effort and thought into their request is someone who will put the most effort and thought into its use! :mrgreen:
im totally not being serious here. or am I? :greendev:

Spelling wouldn't count in my book.

But the flip side is, suppose the 'most deserving' member doesn't have a firm grasp on the English language (such as one who may have recently immigrated), or someone outside the US who was willing to pay for shipping?

My point being..... if they can use them, that qualifies them. And to level the playing field, I'll just make it a lottery.

pixmedic

I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
480sparky said:
Spelling wouldn't count in my book.

But the flip side is, suppose the 'most deserving' member doesn't have a firm grasp on the English language (such as one who may have recently immigrated), or someone outside the US who was willing to pay for shipping?

My point being..... if they can use them, that qualifies them. And to level the playing field, I'll just make it a lottery.

Im just jealous I didnt think of it. :)

sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Photos OK to edit
I like BOTH ways of doing it. It's sorta like "he who has the gold, makes the rules." He who has the camera equipment to donate, gets to decide how to go about the donation! Either way, I think everyone has a pretty fair shot.
Pixmedic: You COuLD (sorry, my work Mac will NOT make a capital "u"... :D ) narrow the entries down based on human criteria, but then if you find there are still five or six equally "deserving" candidates, use the random generator to pick the final winner.

I think it's awesome what BOTH of you are doing, and I really hope that it not only catches on, but that the recipients use the equipment well and then pay it forward.
Speaking of which, pixmedic, I'm thinking of doing a post soon of some photos taken with the Tamron 28-300. Just haven't had a lot of time to do it--working on a complete redesign of one of our websites at work, so maybe when that's done, I'll take a day off and do some shooting.

simion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
HA! this was just typical. I was just one number further down the list.

Congrats phnoob, and 480sparky for making this :)

pixmedic

I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
well sparky, you had a lot more people to filter through than I did/do, as it seems your gear is in far greater demand than mine. :mrgreen:
having fewer choices does however, make it easier to give it a more personal touch when making my selection.
I still kinda like the idea of hand picking the recipient. especially since the decision isn't mine alone, but my wife's as well.
We actually have a few other lenses we had considered donating here, but they are mid-range zooms, which didn't exactly draw a crowd the first time, so im not sure if it is even worth posting.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics