The vine

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We have three grape vines that keep trying to take over our balcony so I cut them off if they come onto or over the deck. I was taking a break from yard work & relaxing on the balcony & this arm of a vine was mocking me standing up above the railing but not venturing in. The way the leaves were lit made me think it might make an interesting picture so I shot it with my Helios 58/2 Russian lens. However, I am not sure the pic works though.

P1030644sm.jpg

This picture to me is perfect in so many ways. There are probably some features I don't like but there is one big feature I love here. The fact that you were sitting and noticed somthing that stood out and you took it upon yourself to step up and catch it forever. That is true artistic impression no matter if there are technical problems or not. I would tone it down a bit and frame it different thats just me.

I think it's pretty nice but just all the green in the image makes it all blend a little bit too much with not enough pop. I guess there isn't really much you could do about that though unless there is a different color if you shot at a different angle/location. I like it though if there wasn't all the green. I doubt there was anything to do about it anyways.

TJ

Ron if you don't mind i did a quick edit. Just let me know if you want me to remove it.

4827640314_1de1fbd345_b.jpg

TJ

Last edited:
Ron if you don't mind i did two quick edits. Just let me know if you want me to remove them.

4827640314_1de1fbd345_b.jpg

4827030349_a8ee579606_b.jpg

TJ

I think the green is a little toned down to much making it look more gray green. That probably needs done but not that much. I think the brightness was what inspired him to get the shot. Unless I am wrong about his motive for taking this shot I would have to say making too many technical corrections will take away from his initial impression.

I like it just the way it is. Maybe you should frame it and put it on your deck. That way the vines could take over in an artistic way!

Thanks guys.

The three edits are not showing for me - "This photo is currently unavailable" is all I get.

I had two options, trees in the background or sky; the "glowing leaves" did not look good against the sky. However, I agree there is too much green background keeping the subject from standing out against it. I dialed the aperture back & forth to see how much I wanted the background blurred & settled @ about f3.5-4.

Sorry i took it down since i don't have pro flickr anymore :/ All i basically was convert it to black and white, add a little more contrast, and do my own type of vignette. I found it pops a little more but maybe that is just the black and white kick i'm on.
TJ

Here is a very very minor adjustment I did with levels and a very slight sharpening. It just reduced the slight yellowish/green tint slightly and gave a slightly better seperation although there is only so much you are going to get with all of the same color in the shot. I like the shot though.

P1030644sm.jpg

I like this a lot - the light is amazing - only the little middle leaf seems about-to-become overexposed. The bokeh is great too.
I like the pic because it really features the shape of the leaves, which is something I personally love. Plus the little bug (fly?) catches the eye.

If the green background is to much for your liking, you could always do something like this...

vine.jpg

I like this post. Many people would have never noticed this and he noticed it captured it and now the possibilities are endless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back