the wall constructed and opinions solicited

motcon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
group-11.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a large wall next to my studio that one must see (as it is directly inside the door) when one enters my place. it is to the right of the studio. on that wall there are about 13 different types of frames (sizes, colors, materials, etc.) with prints. i am currently working on filling the frames. the wall is to give clients an idea as to what types of prints i can do as well as framing options.

i scanned the frame with the photo inside of it, so please do ignore the black crud outside the frame. the true frame is the wood that you see.

so on to my question: without me telling you what type of experience i want this to achieve (that would defeat my purpose here), i solicit your thoughts.

oval3.jpg

my thanks in advance.

tech details available upon request.

so on to my question: without me telling you what type of experience i want this to achieve (that would defeat my purpose here), i solicit your thoughts.

My sweet Will: perhaps I am taking you too literally here, but I am confused by what you want. Without you actually asking a direct question, I am not certain what it is you want my thoughts on. But I won't let that stop me from babbling, since I've just had half a bottle of a nice little burgundy and am feeling chatty. :D So - I blindly offer the following:

I love the visual you painted of walking into the studio and having the various framed images on the wall in front of me. If I were your customer, I would find that welcoming and interesting - something that would beckon me over, make me want to linger. That's a positive thing.

I like the wooden frame you've scanned. I like oval and I don't think it's used enough. Another positive.

I also like the image contained in that frame. It looks as though it could be another sensual and lovely B&W of yours. Is it?

hmm....I think that's 3 positive reactions for 3 comments. So, there you are.

I also like the image contained in that frame. It looks as though it could be another sensual and lovely B&W of yours. Is it?

hmm....I think that's 3 positive reactions for 3 comments. So, there you are.

o, my dearest Terri, yes; 'tis the b&w print scan (it is indeed a shot/print of mine) as well as the presentation on which i desire comment(s).

now on to the burgundy *ahem*. i bow to thee and blow many kisses. do take a nose for me, please.

good to see you again.

i scanned the frame with the photo inside of it, so please do ignore the black crud outside the frame. the true frame is the wood that you see.

like terri, i am having a bit of trouble understanding what you are asking, but I will give you my 'gut reaction' when I saw the scan:

'What's he thinking about?'
'He looks sad'
'Is he ok?'

If you ask me if I like the photo, the answer is yes! I see this as an intimate portrait into someone's soul. Possibly a potrait into a 'troubled mind'. Whether this answers your question, i don't know.

by the way, its been a little since i've seen ya post here so welcome back motcon :)

vonnagy said:
like terri, i am having a bit of trouble understanding what you are asking, but I will give you my 'gut reaction' when I saw the scan:

ambiguity is not my forte; must be an 'off night' for me in terms of communication. my apologies.

vonnagy said:
I will give you my 'gut reaction' when I saw the scan:

'He looks sad'
'Is he ok?'

If you ask me if I like the photo, the answer is yes! I see this as an intimate portrait into someone's soul. Possibly a potrait into a 'troubled mind'. Whether this answers your question, i don't know.

it's a shot of a once-upon-a-time great friend who happens to write quite well. your 'gut reactions' are on the mark in terms of his soul.

vonnagy said:
by the way, its been a little since i've seen ya post here so welcome back motcon :)

thank you, my friend. do please call me Will.

motcon said:
it's a shot of a once-upon-a-time great friend who happens to write quite well. your 'gut reactions' are on the mark in terms of his soul.

von: your comments:

'He looks sad'
'Is he ok?'

are dead on. he's a great writer and quite introspective. he's also self-conflicted.

i'm smiling that you pulled these out of the shot. thanks.

Hi Will,
its amazing that you were able catch such an intimate portrait. Was this a 'studio shot' or a shot from a more casual situation?

i was unsure what u were asking as well .. so i had to sit on it for a while :D .. i love portraits like this ... i call them "mood portraits"

.... the oval frame, im having mixed-feelings about ... it gives it an "ancient" feel ... i dont know if the portrait and the frame balance each other out :)

yup, i agree with all of the abover re: the mood of the photo and choice of the frame- nice job there.

there are some technical points i could make here, but are you looking for those?

My first impression: I like the frame. I like the photo. But the image seems a bit too contemporary for the frame - the synergy isn't quite right.

von: it was shot in my studio, but unposed. most of my studio shots are unposed.

Osmar: if you have some technical critique, by all means please do so.

Tammy: your comment about the lack of synergy is interesting because that is exactly my intent: to create a bit of tension. to make one think the present while seeing the past and vice versa.

In that case - Job well done! :D

when i looked at the man's picture - i thought he looks
like a writer. the frame gives the vibe , for me, of going
in to the lobby or drawing-room of an old-school house in
Spain, Italy, or someplace and seeing this 1900-30's candid-portrait,
a forgotten folk-hero - a writer, painter, philosopher,
film-maker. that frame does make it look early 20th cen. :wink:

the faintly colored finish - reminds me of those early retouched
b&W's that used to be produced, eighty or a hundred years ago.

Most reactions

Back