The wrong equipment

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
So this thread was basically one "yeah the photographer is more important than the camera" thing, and a mod closed it for somewhat vague reasons, and we're supposed to write a 1500 word essay "the wrong equipment" now.

Well I dont know if I can reach 1500 words, but we'll see.

Wrong equipment choices:

- Any photography task, but no film camera and also nothing camera-like-ish, like a darkroom and photopaper or something like that. You just cant photograph without a camera. Drawing/Painting/etc doesnt count !

- Wildlife, something you cant get close to, like a lion or a fawn, without a telephoto lens and without any way to remotely trigger your camera. Or lets say specifically with a 28mm at full frame equivalent, or even wider.

- Sports event, large format film camera. YES people do this, but they shoot the whole stadium or something, not the individual athlete closeup when he's, for example, scoring a goal.

- Sports in low light, simplistic smartphone, or compact or mirrorless camera. Simplistic because without that, you could use prefocus techniques. Some mirrorless cameras will probably give you already some results under these conditions, even if they will be inferior to a highend DSLR with good glass.

- Spontaneous candit street photography, large format film camera. Well you COULD do this with the special large format cameras which are actually rangefinders, such as Linhof Technika classic. Or just use an insane f-stop like f/64, and a really strong flash. Or simply prefocus and stay at a certain place. So I guess its a tough challenge, and the images wont be the same as those you can get with, say, a rather stealthy Leica M - but not impossible.

- Macro without a macro lens. Well I guess you could shoot like 1000 photos and overlap them all and then try to increase the resolution this way to insane values, thus making it possible to crop. Or you could do a makeshift macro extension by simply enabling "shooting without a lens" on a digital camera, and then you do a makeshift macro extension by holding the lens quite a bit away from the mount, blocking any stay light with your hands or cloth or something. So again not really impossible, just needs creativity.

Hmm was that 1500 words ? I dunno. I'll leave for bed now. :)

wait...seriously?
it was closed for vague reasons?
did you actually read that thread or....

The "wrong" equipment is whatever won't get the job done.

Period.

And, if you're more worried about what someone thinks of your equipment instead of the image you produce, you shouldn't be a photographer.

Period.

You forgot the iPad's camera--it's PERFECT for taking view-blocking shots at school plays, dance recitals, and sporting events! Users can hold up their iPads and snap!snap!snap! away, and make semi-wide-angle photos that have just the right faraway and kinda' distant look to them, while at the same time, screaming to those around them, "Look! Look at me! I have an iPad! I am a pad-hole!". Why don't iPad camera users get a mention, Solarflare?

I do believe we had a thread here on TPF entitled, "Don't be a pad-hole" or somesuch thing, not too long after the iPad hit the streets.

This explains why my photos I took with a toaster came out so poorly.

This explains why my photos I took with a toaster came out so poorly.

Runnah...have you ever tried making beef or pork roast using engine block heat, you know, by foil wrapping the meat, and adding a bit of seasoned liquid to the package, then taking like a 3-hour drive??? I hear it's da bomb!

Perhaps we should all take a moment and try to...
130953040.jpg
t
...think inside the box.

Runnah...have you ever tried making beef or pork roast using engine block heat, you know, by foil wrapping the meat, and adding a bit of seasoned liquid to the package, then taking like a 3-hour drive??? I hear it's da bomb!

Between the oil, exhaust and coolant leaks I'd say that the meal would be rather fatal.

wait...seriously?
it was closed for vague reasons?
did you actually read that thread or....

So we give it another name and it starts again :confused:

One thread to rule them all, one thread to find them. One thread to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Now if you all will excuse me I need to go shave my feet.. rotfl

o_O

So is it a bank holiday in the USA or have you all just bunked off work on Monday? ;)

Most reactions

Back