Theatre photography

Glooomp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
People of TPF. I need your help.

I have been recruited by my school's drama faculty to photograph all their major productions- ie. the year 11 and 12 ones.

I need some general tips on shooting in that type of scenario. I will be in the sound/lighting box with an open window.

hey gloomp, you need to give more info, what camera you have, how experience you are, what lens, etc.

Ok- I have an Olympus E-300
I am quite new to photography, but I have had many helpful tips, and are good friends with a couple of professional photographers, so I am feeling ver happy with the shots I have been turning out.

It sounds like you are going to be very limited in how you can move around, so you are going to have to do a lot of your composition with the lens. It looks like that camera has interchangable lenses, but I'm guessing that you have a limited budget. The kit lens doesn't open very wide, so you are probably going to have to boost the ISO and deal with the noise for dim scenes. The optimum would be a fast zoom (wide aperture), but that will be expensive.

I am in theater and I always shoot the productions and head shots. Tell the director that you will need close to half an hour during tech week to shoot photos. This way you will be able to be on stage. The actors and lights can be adjusted accordingly. Also you will not have to roll off 104 shots to get one or two keepers.

Also, remember to talk to the designers (scenic, lighting, costume, makeup) and see if there is anything they would like you to get for their portfolios.

craigneed close to half an hour during tech week to shoot photos.[/quote said:
and the tecies dont hang you up from the lighting rig :lol::mrgreen:

Thanks guys. I did my shoot with what I have, and it wasn't very good. I really need to buy a faster lens because almost all the shots were blurred. I got a few good ones though.

I will be shooting another of my schools production in about a month and a half, so I hope I have enough money for a new lens by then. Also, I will be shooting that in the dress rehearsal.

I guess it would be good to find out what the purpose of these photos is. Are you archiving the production? Portfolios for designers? Scrapbook fodder for the actors?
If it's either of the first two don't use a flash! The lighting design is as much a part of the production as the costumes, set and actors.

(Also, many theater technicans find the term "techie" to be insulting.)

morydd said:
find the term "techie" to be insulting.

we dont tend to be too bothered so long as you DONT TOUCH OUR SET UP GRRRRRRRR

try if you get the change to go during rehersals, this is how i got the best shots when it came to show time

ive photographed 3 plays for my school and im a techie and an actor so im thre 24/7 which i guess gives me an edge

if you want i could post some pics that i shot during 2 of the plays

hot shot said:
and the tecies dont hang you up from the lighting rig :lol::mrgreen:
Hey I'm a techie and there is no gaurantee on that. :D:D

EDIT: People find it insulting to be called a techie? Thats what we're called, techies, whats the big deal?

EDIT: People find it insulting to be called a techie? Thats what we're called, techies, whats the big deal?
It's one of those things that a small, but vocal group find insulting because it's generally a term used mostly at high school level. Once you get into the professional world, about the only people who use the term "techie" are the sort of actors I like to call "scenery-bait" :)

I figure (like most things) it's only an insult if it's meant as an insult. But if you ask me, I'm a tech.

But back to the thread, another quick reminder. Stage lamps are usually around 3200K vs Daylight (5500K) or Incandecent (2800K). So you may have some color correction issues.

EBphotography said:
Hey I'm a techie and there is no gaurantee on that. :D:D

hello brother lol :lol::lol:
is it just ours or does your photographer try to get in to the tec box?? ours trys every time he wants to take pics and evey time we kick him out :lol:

some places might have lamps with light correction filters in them so it looks like daylight. we have 5 or 6 floods set up for daylight just to create a wash dosnt look brillant but with some fill flash looks fine.

Most reactions

Back