Then and now photoshop project

nreed_94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at using Photoshop to create then and now photos. The results are not professional quality, but it is cool for my first try. The main problem I had was getting lettering to align just right. I took the now photos at a slightly different angle, which made this challenging. My photos are of the Enterprise Manufacturing Company in Coleridge, NC.

Attachments

• $diagonal front(S).jpg
    $diagonal front(S).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 357
  • $enterprise side(S).jpg
    $enterprise side(S).jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 316
  • $store front(S).jpg
    $store front(S).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Not bad, not bad at all. It shouldn't be too difficult to make the Now photos match the Then by shoving the Now onto a translucent layer, and then using various re-size/warp/perspective-djust tools to make it fit exactly over the Thens.

I would probably in fact adjust the Then and Now photos together, to make them meet in the middle, to minimize any bizarre effects and resolution losses that might creep in.

Well done! Interesting concept.

I think there is a way that I can match the angles of the two photos. I did create a new layer and change the opacity to get the sides of the buildings lined up. The problem came with the text on the sign. I will dig through my photoshop manuals and see if there is a way to perfect this. It is definitely a cool effect, and I have a few more photos to merge that I can post here later.

Very cool. I love this concept.

Keep it up and post the results!

Why is one of them reversed (mirror image)?

What do you mean by reversed? Are you talking about how one of them has the black an white photo on the right instead of the left? I did this because of the subject matter in that particular photo. I wanted to include the man standing in front of the shop, while still keeping a relative balance between black and white and color.

Here is the latest photo. Unfortunately the old photo is not very high quality. This is the best scan that the library had on file. Anyways, it is just clear enough to make out the price of gas. The sign says 64 cents. Anybody know how long ago gas was near this price?

Attachments

• $enterprise front (S).jpg
    $enterprise front (S).jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 299

What do you mean by reversed? Are you talking about how one of them has the black an white photo on the right instead of the left? I did this because of the subject matter in that particular photo. I wanted to include the man standing in front of the shop, while still keeping a relative balance between black and white and color.

Not, not the color/B&W thing. One image looks like a mirror image, like the negative was printed wrong.

............... Anyways, it is just clear enough to make out the price of gas. The sign says 64 cents. Anybody know how long ago gas was near this price?

Which one? All of the photos are circa 1920s, so it may just be the photo quality from back then

One of the two brick building images looks backwards in relation to the other.

One of the two brick building images looks backwards in relation to the other.[/QUOTE]

I think that may just be the symmetry of the building. I see which one you are talking about, but it is scanned correctly. Thanks for the date. I'm too young to remember gas prices below $2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back