ThePhotoForum should be on Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

primefactor123

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It makes sense for such an awesome photography forum to be on Instagram. I looked, and it doesn't seem to be on there. If I missed it, please kindly disregard this post. I'm just being myself and putting ideas out there.

Is Instantgram anything like Instant Coffee? :biglaugh:

I'm not sure how it would work -- As far as I know, TPF, as an entity, doesn't post anything, and doesn't really own any of the images. The individual members would need to join and post.

It makes sense for such an awesome photography forum to be on Instagram. I looked, and it doesn't seem to be on there. If I missed it, please kindly disregard this post. I'm just being myself and putting ideas out there.

I was just thinking this same thing recently. But I would think that the site owners want you here seeing their ads, not on Instagram.

Just my humble thoughts,
When I first saw this thread my reaction was “Oh NO”
I don’t know anything about instagram but from what I have read in other places I am sure I don’t want to go there
If this site went to instagram it would be one more link to go through, I open this site straight from the web browser
Would the photos the be the subject of the various filters that one can use
How would the age limit be enforced
This site is for Photographers and people ( and other life forms if so interested) who are interested in photography
I realise that there are some who will disagree with me. But think of the problems of spam, trolls and other inappropriate images/comments/posts this could bring.
This site is extremely well managed by the members who self edit, remind others if a post is a bit near the edge and finally report posts that cross the line. The staff are always quick to respond.
We have our own NSFW or Graphic warnings.
As I said these are just my thoughts and the reasons behind them.
Edit. Just in the interests of fair play. I looked at instagram uk
It wanted me to sign up for an account, yet more passwords and account info to remember, another place that wanted my phone number, the possibility of yet more spam in my in box.
I

Last edited:
You guys all have valid points. Thanks for taking the time to read my idea.

Just my humble thoughts,
When I first saw this thread my reaction was “Oh NO”
I don’t know anything about instagram but from what I have read in other places I am sure I don’t want to go there
If this site went to instagram it would be one more link to go through, I open this site straight from the web browser
Would the photos the be the subject of the various filters that one can use
How would the age limit be enforced
This site is for Photographers and people ( and other life forms if so interested) who are interested in photography
I realise that there are some who will disagree with me. But think of the problems of spam, trolls and other inappropriate images/comments/posts this could bring.
This site is extremely well managed by the members who self edit, remind others if a post is a bit near the edge and finally report posts that cross the line. The staff are always quick to respond.
We have our own NSFW or Graphic warnings.
As I said these are just my thoughts and the reasons behind them.
Edit. Just in the interests of fair play. I looked at instagram uk
It wanted me to sign up for an account, yet more passwords and account info to remember, another place that wanted my phone number, the possibility of yet more spam in my in box.
I

I don’t think the OP meant the site should exist in Instagram but more that TPF should have an Instagram feed for people to follow and tag their photos if they choose. Maybe I misunderstood.

The mods would be busy on 2 sites. May have to quit their day jobs ;)

I see, something like a link so others can find this site?

Instagram seems aimed at folks using a phone primarily and secondarily a tablet.
The Photo Forum is aimed at folks wanting to become better photographers and have a place at which constructive advice can be given and accepted. The photos posted here need to be seen as large as possible.

TPF isn't like Flickr (my hosting site) where no matter the quality of photo, it only generates faves, or Facebook where it generates only "thumbs up" or Instagram (to which I also belong) where it generates "hearts." Comments made at these sites have no constructive advice.

I can't see how an Instagram presence would forward the aims of TPF.

Instagram has become primarily a platform for professional photographers (and others of course) to have their work seen and hopefully generate more business.

The only reason we'd really want to join something like Instagram in a formal capacity would be to basically use it as a platform to advertise the forum and to draw people away from Instagram and onto the forums. However the way things are setup Instagram would likely have a net opposite effect; resulting in many of our more casual users (and even the serious ones too) drifting away rather than being drawn to the forums.

Pairing up with other sites for increased exposure is a good thing, but it has to be done carefully so that it doesn't backfire - especially today when forums are not anywhere near as popular as they once were even 10 years ago.

Lots of great points made here, all collectively correct as to why it's not going to happen. Just not a good fit for TPF. :)

Some points:
Instagram is part of the Facebook group and wholly owned by them.
Tread carefully!

Given the intent of the two platforms, what i would probably see as the most logical is as previously mentioned, a posting ar "ad" for the TPF.
Other than that, unless as John pointed out, your into ALOT of phone based photography, (to whit there is an entire section here) it may or may not be advantageous.

I would suggest this, for members whom are also on Instagram that are interested in promoting TPF there: add a "Visit TPF" type message to their Instagram signature, if Instagram even has an equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back