There's no dummie light on a D800

jhodges10

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today me, my wife and my father in law took my son sledding. My father in law brought over a toboggan and the 3 of them went down the hill while I was blissfully snapping away. After about 25 shots I thought I'd make sure everything looked ok but before I could look at the playback I noticed that the LCD was already showing photos with a big red box that said "DEMO". That's when I realized I had neither an SD card or a CF card loaded. On my D60 it wouldn't allow you to actuate the shutter. All D800 owners please learn from my stupidity. :)

The D800 has the capability of locking the camera when the slots are empty (In the menu options), as I assume you figured out! lol! That sucks! Hope you had fun anyway!

I did the same thing once. I was slightly irked. :)

cgipson1 said:
The D800 has the capability of locking the camera when the slots are empty (In the menu options), as I assume you figured out! lol! That sucks! Hope you had fun anyway!

I had not looked but assumed there was a setting in the menu somewhere (afterwards of course). The good news was that we were very close to my house so I was able to grab a card and get back to shooting pretty quickly.

Thanks manaheim, always good to know you're not the only one that does stupid stuff.

Last edited:
cgipson1 said:

I had not looked but assumed there was a setting in the menu somewhere (afterwards of course). The good news was that we were very close to my house so I was able to grab a card and get back to shooting pretty quickly.

Thanks manaheim, always good to know you're not the only one that does stupid stuff.

Page 319 in your user manual! (at least the PDF manual.. not sure about the printed one, never use it.. lol!)

You are not alone. My old CP2200 P&S would hold a number of shots in an internal memory in case the SD card was full or forgotten. I thought the D40 would do the same - nope. Didn't take long to set the camera for lock without card.

Charlie you just helped me out more than you know. Just looked at pg 319 and it also gives info on reversing the exposure indicator. My D60 went one way and the 800 goes the other way. Took me a while to get used to it and now I find out I can change it. Maybe I should try reading the manual. ;)

Charlie you just helped me out more than you know. Just looked at pg 319 and it also gives info on reversing the exposure indicator. My D60 went one way and the 800 goes the other way. Took me a while to get used to it and now I find out I can change it. Maybe I should try reading the manual. ;)

What do you always hear here? RTFM buddy! lol!

(Don't tell anyone I helped.. wouldn't want ruin my rep, right? ;)!

Most reactions

Back