there's something wrong with my camera

i'll admit... i did TRY shooting the moon too.

didn't go so well :(

IMG_0023 by jaythomson, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi
Exposure 1/4000 sec
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 300 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV

hmmmm...... :) 1/4000 for a moon shot... well, you did stop the motion! lol! :greenpbl: I would had lower the ISO a good bit.. and probably closed down the aperture at least two stops... F8 or F11.. as that lens is not at it sharpest wide open.... ;) and you don't need a 4k shutter for the moon... just something reciprocal to your focal length or so, to prevent blur!

lol. with a slower shutter, the moon was so bright i couldnt see any detail at all. probably because my iso was so high? or the wide aperature? everything i did was just super bright with no detail.. when jacked up the shutter, i finally got some detail.

i was on my tripod of course, but it was cold and i didnt bring out my remote, so i was using the camera timer instead.

i'll try again as soon as we get a clear night. and i have my wired and wireless remotes now also.

requisite name in watermark. check.
large. check.
really large so no one can steal images. check.
colorful. check.
sophisticated font. check.

NAILED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nailed it by jaythomson, on Flickr

The signature is not obnoxious enough because you have someone like Schwetty who can crack it!
daughter.jpg

i'll admit... i did TRY shooting the moon too.

didn't go so well :(

IMG_0023 by jaythomson, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi
Exposure 1/4000 sec
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 300 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV

hmmmm...... :) 1/4000 for a moon shot... well, you did stop the motion! lol! :greenpbl: I would had lower the ISO a good bit.. and probably closed down the aperture at least two stops... F8 or F11.. as that lens is not at it sharpest wide open.... ;) and you don't need a 4k shutter for the moon... just something reciprocal to your focal length or so, to prevent blur!

lol. with a slower shutter, the moon was so bright i couldnt see any detail at all. probably because my iso was so high? or the wide aperature? everything i did was just super bright with no detail.. when jacked up the shutter, i finally got some detail.

i was on my tripod of course, but it was cold and i didnt bring out my remote, so i was using the camera timer instead.

i'll try again as soon as we get a clear night. and i have my wired and wireless remotes now also.

Google "Sunny 16 rule"... works great for the moon.....

1-crop2.jpg

Shot at 400mm F11 1/60th 100 ISO

DOH!!!!! nevermind... i figured it out!!!

i haven't created a WATERMARK yet !!!!!!

i'll get on that tonight.. and by tomorrow, look out cover of time magazine !!!

See now if you had bought that camera at Best Buy rather than off somebody else, you would have already known this. Thats like one of the first things outlined in the pro fauxtographer starter kit they give you with the purchase of your DSLR. :lol:

here's what i was getting with the moon.

should i have raised the aperature and the iso to get a slower shutter speed.

since i ended up at 4000 to get some detail. lol.

moons by jaythomson, on Flickr

Absolutely close that aperature down. I've used F22, F16 and F11 for moon shots depending on Full moon, half moon...etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaythomson/6889911569/

You were heading the right direction.. just didn't get there.

Always remember (and this is IMPORTANT) most lenses (read that as relatively inexpensive) are not sharp WIDE OPEN.... always stop down at least two stops for maximum sharpness... (most lenses.. F8 to F11 are probably close to as good as it will get)

You were heading the right direction.. just didn't get there.

Always remember (and this is IMPORTANT) most lenses (read that as relatively inexpensive) are not sharp WIDE OPEN.... always stop down at least two stops for maximum sharpness... (most lenses.. F8 to F11 are probably close to as good as it will get)
and i knew that, from all the people that post photos at 1.8 with their 50mm's

i wasn't realizing that i was wide open.. i was thinking 4.0 was wide open. and 5.6 was good...

but, i know now... 4.0 is wide open at 70mm 5.6 is wide open at 300.

i'll get there :)

requisite name in watermark. check.
large. check.
really large so no one can steal images. check.
colorful. check.
sophisticated font. check.

NAILED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nailed it by jaythomson, on Flickr

The signature is not obnoxious enough because you have someone like Schwetty who can crack it!
daughter.jpg

that's some major BS right there!! how in the hell.....

i know you did it in photoshop... but seriously... even after i flattened the jpg.. wtf!?!?

I am so terribly sorry for you!!! You must have gotten a lemon!!! That's some rotten luck.

Jeeze, NOOB. GET ON THE WATERMARK!

What have we been training you for? This entire time you should have been perfecting your GOSH DANG WATERMARK!

Jay, will you ever learn?

:lmao:

I thought those came with the photobucket account.

and today, i attempted some urban decay photography.

spotted this old broken down boarded up house.

two windows were uncovered...

i grabbed this of the outside..

IMG_0309 by jaythomson, on Flickr

then i moved in closer to the window, and got this of the inside.

IMG_0303 by jaythomson, on Flickr

and then... i swear on everything important to me... i screwed on my wide angle lens, and i started climbing in the window so i could get some pics of the rest of the house..... and in the doorway, a crackhead squatter appeared and started screaming at me to get the F out of his house!!!

i seriously thought i was going to break my neck jumping out of the window and running to my car!!!

OMFG I really died laughing this time! Like no lie! I was coughing up a lung I was laughing so hard!

and then... i swear on everything important to me... i screwed on my wide angle lens, and i started climbing in the window so i could get some pics of the rest of the house..... and in the doorway, a crackhead squatter appeared and started screaming at me to get the F out of his house!!!

I would have been like "Wait... YOUR house? You mean the one YOU'RE squatting in? I think I'll continue to take photos unless of course you want the police to come over and see your house."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back