These look soft again... :(

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a (new!) park today with my daughter and it seems like some of these are still soft! (Better than they were, but still soft!) What's up with that? I was at f/4 with most of them and shutterspeed was over 1/360 on all of them.

New Park1 by jenangeljen, on Flickr
1/250 3.2
ISO 200
One shot focus

New Park2 by jenangeljen, on Flickr
1/250 2.2
ISO 200
One shot focus

New Park3 by jenangeljen, on Flickr
1/250 1.8
ISO 200
One shot focus

New Park4 by jenangeljen, on Flickr
1/250 2.8
ISO 200
One shot focus

New Park5 by jenangeljen, on Flickr
1/320 4.0
ISO200
One shot focus

New Park6 by jenangeljen, on Flickr
1/250 1.8
ISO 200
One shot focusing

Last edited:
No exif data?
Kind of hard w/o it. HOWEVER, it seems that you're shooting wide open on w/e lens you're using. SHARPEST apertures are usually 2-3 stops down from widest open - and this goes for many lenses out there across the brands. There are exception to this but generally speaking if you're shooting wide open that is what you'll get.

The softness in these varies from moderate (#4) to very little (#2), IMO. Is the aperture wider in the ones where the softness is greatest? If so, IgsEMT's observation may be your explanation. I wouldn't expect motion blur for the shutter speed you're talking about but I don't know that it can be ruled out.

I suggest you perform controlled testing of your optics in you have a concern about sharpness. This will at least establish whether the gear is capable of achieving the sharpness you want. The Nikon D70 Focus Chart gives a procedure that you might want to consider as a test.

The softness in these varies from moderate (#4) to very little (#2), IMO. Is the aperture wider in the ones where the softness is greatest? If so, IgsEMT's observation may be your explanation. I wouldn't expect motion blur for the shutter speed you're talking about but I don't know that it can be ruled out.

I suggest you perform controlled testing of your optics in you have a concern about sharpness. This will at least establish whether the gear is capable of achieving the sharpness you want. The Nikon D70 Focus Chart gives a procedure that you might want to consider as a test.

I was looking at number 4, and it's really the only one that looks actually soft to me. It looks like the focus is more on the bar, but just slightly.

HA! I'm a dork and I totally lied to all of you. It's part of my evil scheme....

No... not really. I just didn't remember having the aperture set to 2.8 etc. >.<

My bad.

Guess I'll just keep practicing. :(

OH! But a good thing is I've been learning how to read my meter and there was little exposure adjustment to these. Woot!

Yeah #4 is the only one i can tell is soft and its because it looks like the focus is on those sequens on her shirt and not her face. Number 6 is great! A keeper for sure!

Thanks Tim. And thanks guys!

Those damned sequined shirts seem to grab my focus. :D

I dunno why but every time she wears one the focus ends up on the sequins! :lmao: She has like 5 in different colors and loooves them.

All of these look nicely focused to me..Except for number 4..and honestly....I don't like 4. It almost looks like she's hanging herself. Not trying to be mean! ;)

Thanks Tim. And thanks guys!

Those damned sequined shirts seem to grab my focus. :D

if it is not a joke :lol:, just do not let the camera choose the focus point for you. Change focus point from auto to manual (e.g., in the center), center on eyes, half-press to focus then, while half-pressing, re-compose the picture as you want. If you are already doing this, apologies for unuseful suggestion :D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back