These Shining Seas

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sailboat shot from the overlook on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge, near San Francisco last November.

I kept coming back to this picture in my archives b/c there was just something about it that I liked. I kept trying to saturate the water to be a bright blue, but it never worked. So today, I thought, what about a hazy sunset look? Let me know if it works for you.

400iso/300mm, don't remember av/tv settings, scanned from film negative. Vignetting is in camera, levels adjusted only.

Sailboat.jpg

if it were mine i would burn the highlighted portion of the water just a bit and see what happens. is it possible to tone the boat down....seems a bit blown. it's definitely worth the effort. the idea of blue saturation sounds nice too.

JonMikal said:
if it were mine i would burn the highlighted portion of the water just a bit and see what happens. is it possible to tone the boat down....seems a bit blown.

agreed... love the vignetting and I like the warmth the orange gives to the photo. It has a nice lazy or dreamy afternoon feel

JonMikal said:
if it were mine i would burn the highlighted portion of the water just a bit and see what happens. is it possible to tone the boat down....seems a bit blown. it's definitely worth the effort. the idea of blue saturation sounds nice too.

Ok I darkened the picture a tad over all and boosted the contrast a hair. I tried burning a bit, but I can't quite get the hang of it. What pattern to use? How dark? Create a "shadow" behind the boat?

And I know the boat feels blown, but it's what I've used to set my white balance, so I can't seem to get it to cool off, so to speak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a feeling this is just my lack of PS skills as opposed to bad suggestions! LOL!!!

OTE, and I can post the original if need be.

Sailboat.jpg

I also turned the water blue.

To get the white not so bright I used selective color in PS set to absolute selected white and added +5 to the black slider and to even out the orange cast I used hue/saturation adjustment layer set it to colorize then used the mask to remove the boat.

To get the blue water I did the above mentioned then ran another Hue/saturation adjustment layer and just changed to a blue I liked.

Hope this helps

Vmann said:
Sailboat.jpg

I also turned the water blue.

To get the white not so bright I used selective color in PS set to absolute selected white and added +5 to the black slider and to even out the orange cast I used hue/saturation adjustment layer set it to colorize then used the mask to remove the boat.

To get the blue water I did the above mentioned then ran another Hue/saturation adjustment layer and just changed to a blue I liked.

Hope this helps

Cool thanks!

Most reactions

Back