Thesis/Dissertation Writing,

DougGrigg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.douggrigg.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know many of you couldn't dream of combining words with photography, but in academia it is a definitive requirement and I really do need some help!

Primarily on research ideas, who to quote and just general things to look at.

My dissertation in lay-mans is, human facial expressions within photography.

My actual written heading / question is
"Can you Lie to me?"
An investigation into the veracity of photography, originating with the belief that the human guise involuntarily expresses, and reveals underlying character of which is underpinned by emotion, whilst also exploring the use of personality along with warranted facial expressions within 21st century portrait photography, Adopting the research of Dr Paul Ekman as a tool for the translation of portrait imagery.

I'm asking : does anyone know of any relevant photographers who focus on human facial expressions with a strong connection to academia or educational writing?

Or any neurologists, human behavioral psychologists who write about the correlation between emotion & expressions leaning against photography?

Currently looked at:
Dr paul ekman
Bettina Von Zwehl
Charles Darwin
Duchenne du Boulogn
Rankin
Marco Grob
Terry Richardson
Oscar wilde
Haggard & isaacs
Freitas-Magalhaes
-------------------------

Or any artists / photographers that have a narrative or connection to the "Truth" of photography!

I wouldn't ask here if I didn't think a few of you guys & girls know more research I should look at, after all, knowledge is power and a foundation for a clearer clarity within photography!

Errol Morris wrote a book called "Believing is Seeing" not too long ago. It touches on micro facial expressions, he cites Ekman specifically, and consulted him for his own book.

The book itself is pretty much entirely about truth in photography. It's a bit problematic in some areas, and while the research is excellent along some lines it's sloppy on others. An interesting read and, I think, basically pretty important if you're interested in the subject of Truth in Photography as a whole thing.

An interesting and accessible book I have enjoyed that's tangentially related is Mindreading by Sanjida O'Connell. It's mainly about autism, and falls under the head of "popular science" being an accessible summary of the state of autism research at the time. There's nothing about photography in it, but it does have quite a bit to say about the cognitive machinery behind reading facial expressions. It might also lead to some more scholarly work.

I didn't even know you could get a PhD for photography.

Do you want to teach?

My thesis was on NVH diagnostic methods for internal combustion engines, which seems easy compared to this. :D

I'd love to teach, but I'd ideally like to establish myself as a touring photographic artist / lecturer. All of the big dogs at university in the photography department are Dr's or professors so its all very interesting how academia is laid out. (Well, that's how it is for us in England anyway! )

Funny you should mention it; I'm a human behavioral psychologist (amateur standing). I was an inspector for my state government in which I occasionally perceived that someone was lying to me. No pictures, though.

(edit) Mostly I could tell simply by knowing the truth when someone was trying to tell me something different.

More relevant to your inquiry; consult the work of real behavioral psychologists who read body language. Lots of tells in someone's facial expression as well as in other body parts.

You might find some books on high-level poker and also books dealing with police interrogation techniques have sections dealing with facial expressions and behaviors as they relate to humans engaged in deception.

You might find some books on high-level poker and also books dealing with police interrogation techniques have sections dealing with facial expressions and behaviors as they relate to humans engaged in deception.

Funny you should say that, my father is a police trainer who trains those in the art of interrogation verbally and reading behavior, I'll definitely be talking to him I totally over sighted that fact until you mentioned this!

PhD is a tough process. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back