Things ancient & modern

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Quiz time! Two images of something - the first modern, the second eighteenth century. Not too hard (I hope) to guess what, though when I posted the second image elsewhere a while ago a few got it wrong.

Tony

For more info go to: http://photoreflect.blogspot.com

Elec-1.jpg

Cand-1.jpg

Well, what is the word for these again in English? These lights ... like you would find them in "my" church, i.e. the one where my choir sings and which was the venue for our performance of Händel's oratoria Theodora on Saturday, Nov 25 ... there they look like this (but looked at from the SIDE):

kronleuchter.jpg

I could look up the word in the dictionary, but I am too lazy... ;)

They're called chandeliers.....

Hey. I was coming back here just in order to happily announce that the word

chandelier
had sprung back up in my mind all by itself :lmao: .

That makes be believe I am not quite THAT old as yet!!!

And hey, finally in reply to your photos, Tony: OF COURSE yours are MUCH better than mine, but when I took mine, I was limited in what I had to shoot them with (and less creative what with the composition and angles than you were for your two very graphic photos of the modern and old chandelier).​

Well done Corinna & hovis - nearly right!! The second one is most definitely a chandelier, because it does hold candles. However, the first one has electric light bulbs and goes under the name of, believe it or not, an electrolier! Yes, really! Thanks for participating!

Regards, Tony

They do make up some stupid names for stuff don't they?? :lmao:

:confused::confused::confused: Electrolier??? Doesnt' sound like something I would like to have in my dining room.

Most reactions

Back