Things I noticed shooting film vs digital

I find myself trending back toward film more in a way of going back to the "roots" of where i started. Shooting both, i never found digital the same. Though i do enjoy shooting digital as well. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at large format now. It seems a progression even if you are going backwards, as perhaps it makes you more well rounded in photography in general and gives a hands on more historical perspective, or appreciation.

i don't know how i would feel if i started on digital and didn't know anything else. Maybe such thoughts would never occur to me. Seems to be a very strong "foundation" of photography found in the film process. A greater over all appreciation for photography itself. I would recommend anyone who never shot film at least TRY it. Even if you don't like it, i think there is something to be gained in the overall outlook of what photography is. I shoot with my dslr, or i shoot with my phone, or i shoot with a point and shoot, or i shoot with a bridge camera, or i shoot with one of my 70's film cameras. All is versions of photography, like you are passing through time with this overall appreciation of it. Beyond the photo, more of a level of respect for what photography is.

I've noticed no difference at all........wait, I shoot film only.

I've noticed no difference at all........wait, I shoot film only.
You have to try digital, you can't stay oblivious to that. :devilish:

Nope, nada, no way, nyet and......I don't think so.............:rolleyes:

There is only light and shadow.

One transitioning into the other, blending into each other apart yet of a whole. Each with their own temperament to describe the world.

The medium you use to record your vision is just an extension of your personality and mood.

What is right and proper is your response to the light and shadow.

Well said. If I accept paintings and sculptures, I have to accept digital form as well. However everything in own slot.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I shot my first two rolls of film today and loved it. I had a load of fun, more so than with my digital camera. More to learn....

For what it's worth, I shot my first two rolls of film today and loved it. I had a load of fun, more so than with my digital camera. More to learn....
Great !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back