Thinking about birds (thanks PixelRabbit lol)

CdTSnap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wondering a couple of things when it comes to shooting birds (with a camera)

What focus mode do you use? Would it be best to keep it on center point AF-C and just ignore the general rules of thirds and such to get the bird in focus when flying. I struggled trying to get it in focus and thinking about composition at the same time.

In general ive noticed that 3D tracking can be a little difficult when theres alot of other stuff in the background.

AF is pretty much useless on my dslr for birds in flight, but i am getting better and better at nailing my focus manually. Just need some more practice.

I actually always use single-point AF, aimed right at the eyes. If they're in flight, I pan with them keeping the focus as close to the eye as possible until I'm ready to actuate the shutter. Of course, that's all usually in the span of less than a second or two, and yes, you'll miss some, but you get better and better at it. I do use AF-C; not 3D tracking.

As for composition, with a BIF (bird in flight), the only thing I'm concerned about, compositionally, is getting the entire bird in the frame if possible, and--if I can--leaving some room to the front of the direction it's flying, so that when I crop it later, it won't crop the bird's head too close to the edge of the photo. I prefer to give them "room to fly into", if that makes sense.

For a perched bird/bird on the ground--I do the same thing first, just get the shot, get the whole bird IN the shot and leave a little room in front. THEN, if the bird doesn't take flight immediately, I'll start taking additional shots to either improve the composition and/or get closer. Take a step, take a shot or two. Take another step, another shot…sometimes, I'll stand there for…well, for what can SEEM like forever…because some birds will "forget" you're there eventually and go on about their business, and you can edge a little closer without flushing them.

What focus mode do you use? Would it be best to keep it on center point AF-C and just ignore the general rules of thirds and such to get the bird in focus when flying. I struggled trying to get it in focus and thinking about composition at the same time.

In general ive noticed that 3D tracking can be a little difficult when theres alot of other stuff in the background.

Best results I've gotten have been using single point with the center point selected, stopping down the lens as much as I can for greater DOF while still maintaining a workable shutter speed/ISO - and then just shoot a little wide. That way I can fix the composition in post depending on whats best for the shot.

Lol!

In most of Scotland "birds" can be used as a slang term for women. That title read totally differently to me! Hehehehe

Anyway, for birds I use a single point af (centre point), AI servo, high speed continuous shooting with CWA metering AF tracking on standard. I shoot a bit wider and crop later more often than not as you never can tell what will happen and it gives you a bit more leeway rather than missing a shot because you are shooting too tight

A little different I guess, manual focus is what I use and a slow burst rate, but everything else is basically the same.

Just get the little suckers in the frame !! Then you can crop to suit after the fact. Keep your shutter speeds high (mine is around 1/2500 - 1/4000 for BIF's) and a nice low ISO if you can. My lenses are always used wide open to help achieve that, the long lenses are great for it of course. Not always possible, but with the sun at your back is a great position and direction to shoot from. Be patient and stubborn and most importantly, relax, not all tense, be determined to relax....... then relax some more ;) Becomes easier with time and practise.

In time you learn your distances and what you can crop later, then you realise its a waste of time taking a shot so far out, so you concentrate on either getting close, a longer lens or just wait for them to come to you.

All the best and get out there :)

Danny.

I always shoot in AF-C, center point on my D7100. I generally shoot in 9 pt or 21 point dynamic. Also try using back button focus. That way you can always leave your camera in AF-C.. And I agree with everything Danny and Sharon said above..

Haaaa haaaaa, you should be hooked very soon Mr. You won't think many birdie pics are boring anymore.

Occasionally, I will switch to all focus points and let the camera select only if I have a clean blue sky background while tracking BIF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha yeah I think I find them boring cause I can't do it lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Same as most others have mentioned. Single focus point, dead center, continuous auto focus. Shoot a wider angle and worry about composition in post with cropping. Besides, shooting really tight to where you have to actually frame it in camera just makes it that much harder to even do in the first place. The wider the view, the easier it is to track the bird.
Start by trying to do gulls. They are everywhere and easy to find. Plus, they are relatively slow for how large they are and make fairly easy targets. Once you start nailing them, you'll get the whole technique down and will be a lot better on other birds.
Then you can try swallows. I swear, if you can get reliable swallows in flight... :hail:

I second the gulls. They were the first successful BIF I ever got. If I'm having a bad day, I'll shoot a couple of them just to make myself feel successful. That or if you can find some swans flying around, it's almost impossible to miss those guys, as big and lumbering as they are.

I use centre point AI-Servo, shoot wide, crop later, just like most of the others. I've also found it works best for me to shoot in manual, with a slight overexposure. It often blows out the sky but you get better detail in the shadows under the wings. At least, I do.

Most reactions

Back