Thinking about buying a Strobe Kit...

Lil Bob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So this is my first time looking at buying a set of lights for strobe lighting... I have no idea what i should be looking for. I have a canon rebel xti, and was wondering if either of these kits would work with my setup. Also what else would i need to purchase for these lights to work if they even will. Also which kit do you guys think would work better?

Steve Kaeser Backgrounds & Accessories

Steve Kaeser Backgrounds & Accessories

Thanks,

Lil Bob

One thing that stands out to me...is the limited power range on those lights. The one light had settings for full, half and 1/4 power. The other one only had full and half power. Other than that, they might be alright...but I haven't heard anything about them...which makes me suspicious.

Something like an AlienBee, has a power output slider that goes from full power to 1/32 (5 stops).

I would suggest looking at AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment and Elinchrom D-Lites.

Also, have you considered going with hot shoe type flash units? They aren't as powerful but they are small and because they run on batteries, they are much more portable than studio strobes. Check THIS OUT.

Mike has always offered good suggestions.

One thing I would recommend is to get a little knowledge before making a choice. One of the best places on the net is the strobist blog located at Strobist and read the sections about Lighting 101 and 102.

Though they focus mostly on battery powered strobes, ALL that info is 100% applicable to all light sources. They do discuss hardware a lot too, and that is also helpful. They also have a flickr group located at http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/ and that is also a good place to look.

Good luck. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back