Thinking about doing the unthinkable-- Selling my D90 for a D700?

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of doing a rather crazy thing, I'm considering selling my D90, Sigma 10-20, 35 1.8G and 18-55 VR and using the money to fund the purchase of a USED D700. I have the bug for full frame, this will leave me with 3 lenses. A Sigma 50 1.4, a Tamron 90 2.8 and a 70-300 VR. I am thinking I can use the 50mm 1.4 for now and purchase a wide lens later on.

Am I insane to be considering this? I want to have the fun of using my lenses how they were meant to be used when built and not to mention the shallow DOF options. I'm not sure if this will come to a reality, but I just realised I could do it if I really wanted to do it that is...

Anyone here who can offer me some insight into the advantages you noticed when you made the big leap?

I am just throwing the idea out there, I have spent the last year envious of full frame camera owners and now I am finally thinking, 'why should I spend my life being envious? Why not get out there and get yourself a full frame camera if it's really what you want!' It will be expensive though. :D

It's funny Tyler, I thought of you when I was considering this.. I know you use your 5D with the 50mm lens quite alot don't you?

I do use it quite a bit... I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it's usually on either the 5D or 5D2. I prefer using the 85mm f/1.4, but my girlfriend Kelsey has a love affair with the 50mm. It really is a great lens on a 35mm sensor.

I didn't have any lenses other than the 28-135 and the 50 when I jumped to full frame, so I was in a similar boat. You'll get a LOT of use out of the 50. You probably won't even use your Telephoto or Macro (but that also depends on what you shoot).

I'm 100% sure you'll get an immediate photoboner when you get your hands on one. :thumbup:

The major advantages you already know... Better noise handling, background control, IQ, etc. There's not a good reason to look back after you make the leap IMO, unless you want the additonal FoV reach of an APS-C body.

The only thing is, you're getting rid of all your wide lenses. If you never shoot with them then go for it.

It's funny Tyler, I thought of you when I was considering this.. I know you use your 5D with the 50mm lens quite alot don't you?

I do use it quite a bit... I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it's usually on either the 5D or 5D2. I prefer using the 85mm f/1.4, but my girlfriend Kelsey has a love affair with the 50mm. It really is a great lens on a 35mm sensor.

I didn't have any lenses other than the 28-135 and the 50 when I jumped to full frame, so I was in a similar boat. You'll get a LOT of use out of the 50. You probably won't even use your Telephoto or Macro (but that also depends on what you shoot).

I'm 100% sure you'll get an immediate photoboner when you get your hands on one. :thumbup:

Yep, you are most likely right on that one! :lol:

All good points, it does have some major advantages..

The way I look at it is.. if i want the crop factor..I can stick the D700 Into DX mode which will mean 6MP Files.. but 6MP was enough for me when I had a D40. So I can deal with it!

The only thing is, you're getting rid of all your wide lenses. If you never shoot with them then go for it.

Yes that is the only thing that troubles me, I will have to save up for a good wide angle as I will not have the money to hand. I'm thinking a 35 F2 may do the trick though for wide angles temporarily, not a great lens but cheap and cheerful.

I sold 4 D90 to get 4 D300, and didn't blink an eye doing it either, because overall the D300 was so very much better than the D90.

I then sold 2 of the D300 to get 2 D3, and skipped right over the D700.

I sold 4 D90 to get 4 D300, and didn't blink an eye doing it either, because overall the D300 was so very much better than the D90.

I then sold 2 of the D300 to get 2 D3, and skipped right over the D700.

Too bad not everyone is you, Keith. :er:

Maybe if Josh had 4 D300's to sell, that would be one thing. Otherwise, your comment is more or less useless.

Go for the D700, Josh!

Not really. I take it that Keith was not stretching his finances. That is a very pertinent comment.

So for another useless comment.... I went from a D80 and added a D300. Later on added a D700. Later on gave the D80 and a couple of lenses to my son. Still have the D300 and D700, but added an Olympus m43. Oh yeah, still have the Canon film camera too.

You'll have fun with the D700 Josh, but make sure you're taking care of business first.

I bought a D700 in addition to my D7000, and didn't hesitate to sell that D7000 not even a week later. Too many advantages in a addition to FF to even type.

Not really. I take it that Keith was not stretching his finances. That is a very pertinent comment.

So for another useless comment.... I went from a D80 and added a D300. Later on added a D700. Later on gave the D80 and a couple of lenses to my son. Still have the D300 and D700, but added an Olympus m43. Oh yeah, still have the Canon film camera too.

You'll have fun with the D700 Josh, but make sure you're taking care of business first.

Your comment at least spoke from D700 experience. Keith posted to tell us that he sold several cameras to purchase a D3. None of which was a D700.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... Yeah. Not very pertinent IMO.

If you want a FX camera, then I don't see what's so unthinkable about it.

Most reactions

Back