ashleysmithd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ashleysmithd.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

I've currently got the Nikon D40, which I bought for £370, brand new, and could possibly sell for about £310. I've had it since January.

I was thinking about selling it and going for the D80. This is for two reasons, the lens compatibility, and the resolution.

What I'm wondering is, are Nikon looking to bring anything out soonish? Is it worth going for a D80 at this stage of the game?

I'm just wondering if I should go through with this, or wait until Nikon bring out something else, and then sell the D40 and get the brand new technology.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

If and when the next big thing comes out, the current technology will obviously drop in value... you wouldn't get much for the D40 compared to what you can get for it now. Therefore, if you actually find the D40 inadequate for your purposes (are the lens compatibility and resolution actually limiting you?), I would upgrade to the D80. Obviously something like a D200 would be even nicer and would probably retain its value better, but at least with the D80 you'd have a camera that does what you need now and will still serve as a good backup if you do decide to go for the next big thing when it comes along.

If lens compatibility is the reason to change, then you might consider going to the D200. Of course, it all depends on which lenses you intend to use, but the D200 will give you far more possibilities.

As for the question about waiting, I tend to think that you'll always have a reason to wait: there will always be a next one to come. The D80 you mention is not so old as to star thinking about it as an obsolet-to-be camera. Not even in digital-time.

You know what you need. If some of the cameras available gives it to you already, I would forget about future-possibilities and get it know. And, of course, would never have bad conscience when eventually the upgraded model came.

Most reactions

Back