Thinking about getting a new 35mm body

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I am currently using Nikon F501 (N2020) and have been shooting with it for the past 9 years. My dad stopped using the camera a long time ago so I assumed it... I had it overhauled in 2006 because the mirrors won't work right when the temperature gets low(I lived in Michigan). However ever since, I just felt that there's something not right with the metering. The problem becomes even more significant when I switched from consumer grade negatives like Kodak Gold to pro Kodak Ektar. When shooting in bright light, like sunny days, it tends to get over exposed.

So before an affordable full frame gets to the market, I am still going to stick to film. I have been looking at some of the later Nikon SLRs like the F75, F90x F100, F5 and F6. F5 and F6 is definitely out of my price range. F100 is probably my upper limit price wise. F75 seems like a really good choice but it has a lot of plastic. I've never held it before so I don't know if I will mind it. So do any of you have suggestion or experience with any of these camera bodies?

The F90 or N90 or N90s are both available for $99 on eBay right now, 17 different individual N90s models at Buy It Now prices a couple of days ago. That would be a good camera to buy. I am not impressed with the N70 or N75 models---the interface on them is kind of quirky and odd and the build quality is pretty low compared with the N90 or N90s.

For good reviews on NIkon bodies, go to Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide and read his concise camera body reviews, as well as his in-depth reviews of many NIkon bodies. He is an acknowledged NIkon expert.

Today, film bodies are very affordable, if you shop at the right places.

I have a F100 and it is AWESOME. Feels like it could get through anything and exposes beautifully.

In retrospect, I should have ponied up the extra $100 for a F5 though. Those are BEASTS.

I am currently using Nikon F501 (N2020) and have been shooting with it for the past 9 years. My dad stopped using the camera a long time ago so I assumed it... I had it overhauled in 2006 because the mirrors won't work right when the temperature gets low(I lived in Michigan). However ever since, I just felt that there's something not right with the metering. The problem becomes even more significant when I switched from consumer grade negatives like Kodak Gold to pro Kodak Ektar. When shooting in bright light, like sunny days, it tends to get over exposed.

So before an affordable full frame gets to the market, I am still going to stick to film. I have been looking at some of the later Nikon SLRs like the F75, F90x F100, F5 and F6. F5 and F6 is definitely out of my price range. F100 is probably my upper limit price wise. F75 seems like a really good choice but it has a lot of plastic. I've never held it before so I don't know if I will mind it. So do any of you have suggestion or experience with any of these camera bodies?

I have an N2020 and I love it. It has what I call "conventional" controls
(as on most pre-AF film SLRs) which I prefer and the camera was made to
accept both AF and MF lenses, another advantage for me.

It's quite robust and has all the automation I could ever need and you can
still find mint N2020s at dirt cheap prices too.

The later Nikons with LCDs and odd buttons and dials. etc. are a turn-off
for me. The controls are not nearly as intuitive as the older style in my book.

Another reason why I want to consider a newer SLR is because the F501 has a really slow auto focus that it's absolutely useless. I can't really take any action shot unless I really plan for it (lock the focus and wait for the action to happen). Although I only have one AF lens, a functioning AF will be really helpful.

I absolutely agree that the F501/N2020 has really intuitive controls and I love it. I wish there's something like this for digital. I love the shutter sound especially when the camera engages a fresh roll. The F501 is definitely a keeper, but I think if I am going to spend the money, I want something better.

DSC08718.jpg

True, if you do action photography then a later AF model would be more
appropriate. But, for most other purposes I find the AF on the N2020
to be plenty fast enough, certainly as fast or faster than manual focus.

Most of my cameras are MF anyway so the N2020 is fine for my purposes.

Buy an F100 and be done with it.... you should be able find one online in great condition for $150.

You can't be that poor, I see a 50mm f1.2. You may consider trading that in for a 50mm f1.4 and using the left over $ for an f100.

Having owned a f1.2 and f1.4 I can attest to their being little difference between them IQ wise. I see the 1.2 as more of a bragging rights/collectors lens, but given all the extra weight for very little difference in IQ, it's not worth it--especially if owning it means you can't afford a pro-body.

ps. have you ever considered making the jump to medium format? I see $700+ of lenses there, you could get a mamiya 7 outfit for that.

Compur, I don't really do action photography now because I can't. I've tried and the success rate is rather low. However you are right about the 2020's offering in terms of manual focus. I absolutely love the brightness and clarity of the view finder. It really does give you exactly what the lens sees.

djacobox372, I won't trade my lens(except the telephoto and the 35-75mm) for anything because they were from my dad so I didn't "afford" them. I didn't even know how great the F1.2 is until I started to research about it and I absolutely love it. I am definitely very blessed because I'd never be able to get this lens if it wasn't been given to me. This is also the main reason why I won't go digital until I can afford a full frame. It's personal sentimental reason, no logic behind it. Plus, when you are stuck with ISO100 film in the camera, one more stop can make a big difference.

I just read about the F100 and found out that it's really bad on power consumption. This is something that I am concerned with because I do shoot many rolls at once, especially while traveling. I regularly do 7~10 rolls of 36 exp over a single weekend.

I was being suggested the F4s which so far I have only read about good things but some ergonomic complains, which is subjective. I still need to find out about AF capabilities and other details.

F100 is all you will ever need. It's a baby F5. Whatever you read about power consumption doesn't seem accurate. I put lithium batteries in mine, they've been in there for nearly 2 years. Even if your batteries do die while you're out, it just uses AA which can be purchased anywhere.

Also, the F100's autofocus is blazing fast. (compared to my digital bodies anyway d70,d200)

edit:
I was just thinking, since you have the F501, you're probably used to the way the dial controls work, so maybe give the F4s a try. F100/F5 are pretty much like the modern digital bodies as far as the controls, while the F4 uses old 80's style dials on top of the camera. The F4 will matrix meter with your manual lenses also, while the other cameras will only spot meter. I have read that the F4s is a pretty heavy camera to lug around though. I want to get one myself. I don't "need" it, but I lusted after one when they first came out, but had no funds, since I was a lowly high schooler at the time.. now that I do, it could be fun for nostalgia.. IMO, it's one of the most beautiful cameras.

Last edited:
Unless you want to go armed, get the F100. ;)

I have the 90s (couldn't/wouldn't spend the extra for the F100 when I got it) and wouldn't now. I might for the F5 but I don't mind carrying the weight.

I am really bummed that I didn't buy the brand new F100 a few months ago when I found it in a near by going-out-of-business Wolf Camera. I think it was going for $169 or something. Shame on me.

I think there is a F75 for sale, black with the digital date/time stamp in the for sale section, for sale by NOYZE. $50 bucks it think?

J.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back