Thinking about selling my D7100

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased the D850 and this thing is amazing.

My original plan was to keep my D7100 as a "back up" or second camera if I was in a situation where I needed 2 bodies. I was in a situation this last weekend where I tired using the 24-70 on the 850 and the 70-300 on the 7100. I was not happy with the results.

From researching online it appears that I can still get a reasonable price for the D7100 with 18-105 kit lens. I had originally planned on upgrading my underwater set up from my D-90 to the D7100 as used housing showed up, but they are in high demand and retain a high resale.

So this leaves me thinking I should sell the D7100 and use that money toward either a D850 housing or a second D850 body.

Can anyone think of a good reason to keep the D7100?

What was the issue when you used both bodies?

Excellent question.

In this case, dynamic range was one of the main ones. I know this is one case, not all cases, but we were at an outside event between 11:00 and 13:00. Many of the other events I plan on shooting are in low light, which the higher ISO shines.

The other issue is having different controls.

I know these are all minor, but they are issues.

If you are not happy with the results of your d7100 after using something better, you probably never will be. I'd say sell it

I use a d7200 and d610. They (both) work well for me but the layout is similar

I shoot with a D7100 and plan to upgrade it as soon as I exhaust all the capability of the D7100. (That might be in about 5-10 years!).

I's say sell the D7100 and concentrate on the 850. Having different controls could cause you to lose shots when switching bodies and time is of the essence.

What are you not happy with on the D7100? Switching to a different body like another full frame will obviously give you better high ISO performance but if you mean to say you're not happy with the results from the D7100 when using the 70-300 then switching to a different body will not help if using the same lower end glass....

If you need two cameras and the different ergonomics was a issue, then just get another D850.

I have a D500 and a D700. They are both pro bodies but the layout is different enough to make it tough to go back and forth without mental gymnastics. And the files are very different, but both are excellent in their own way. I would keep a DX and and FX myself, but that's just me. I don't have one, but I hear people say that the DX mode of the D850 makes having a DX body as well for the added reach unnecessary. I guess it's up to you and your wallet.

I liked the D7100. People **** on the buffer, but I always liked the files. My son has it now.

just sell it...
if it was a D750/D7100 the controls are fairly similar
the D850 is sufficiently different from even a D810 that i sold my D810.

I guess I never came back to this thread. I was going to sell it, a family member wanted it so I am keeping the body and 18-105. I have gotten rid of everything else for it, with the exception of 1 lens. I am holding onto my 11-16mm, as I can use it at 16mm, until I purchase a UWA for the new camera.

Most reactions

Back