Thinking of a name for my business...

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
My last name is Juan. Nope I am not Spanish. I'm actually Taiwanese(Chinese). My last name is supposed to be read as Ruan but our government had different idea when they translated our family name for passport purpose. I can't change that, may as well make good use of it.

I am an Industrial Designer and I will be starting my own practice focusing on Toys and creative teaching methods (our education is a total failure). The Chinese name of my business can't be more generic but I don't really care about it. The English name will be more crucial for me.

So one of the more unique names that I've come up with that isn't taken yet is "daJuan". It's meant to be read as da-wan, as in "the-one". I know that local Taiwanese won't get it, I don't care. I also know that South East Asians will read it as da-ju-an. I do know that Americans will probably get it, since I used to be mistaken as Spanish or Hispanic if they knew my name before meeting me in person. So my question for ya folks is, how will non-Spanish speaking Europeans read it? Thanks!

BTW it's really hot and humid here now

61855191_10157503866261803_6104910546539118592_o.jpg

Well, this non-Spanish speaking European thinks its a good name.......

So my question for ya folks is, how will non-Spanish speaking Europeans read it?
I don't know, but my guess is that they're going to have some difficulty, not in pronunciation, but in connecting your business name with a person (you) with a similar name (which might not be pronounced the same anyway).

Thinking about two widely-spoken languages; French and German, French speakers might prefer Le Juan, and the German speakers might prefer der Juan if you want them to get the double entendre, but you would need to talk with native speakers to see if it worked at all. Then there are all those other languages.

Maybe rethink it some. Some easy, generic name might be better.

I'm not European so maybe not your target audience. If I saw the name "daJuan" I wouldn't think "the one" and I actually think it sounds like an African American name or something. I used to work with a guy with Jawan (pronounced juh-wahn) and that is what is reminds me of. Why not use your actual name of Ruan?

I'm not European so maybe not your target audience. If I saw the name "daJuan" I wouldn't think "the one" and I actually think it sounds like an African American name or something. I used to work with a guy with Jawan (pronounced juh-wahn) and that is what is reminds me of. Why not use your actual name of Ruan?

It sounding like an African American name is quite true, but what I've seen are more like Djuan, like Dwayne. Why not use Ruan? Cus my official last name on the passport is spelled as Juan. Anyway, I was trying to be catchy/playful with the name.

da-ju-an is how I'd say the name. Also based on a company name like that I'd be expecting fashion/perfume rather than educational toys - then again that's just a gut feeling and I'm sure it would work for multiple other companies once you get the marketing out there.

My first impulsive response is to go with Juan-Ton photography.

But out side the politically correct nature of the easily offended, the trick is to look at what makes YOU tick.

If your going to focus on toys and product, I would suggest something a bit more professional than cutesy.

It sucks and sometimes the catch names do stick.
But focus on your target audience and what would catch their attention and what it would look like on a brochure.

Seriously think about that.

I was thinking sometimes it's best to keep things simple. How about Ruan Industrial Design with this image as your logo? As I understand it it is the symbol for the name Ruan? This way you can cover the Chinese end and make it more exotic for the European side.

Anyway just a thought

PSX_20190611_045529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It'll work in the uk, as this is a pretty major ad on mainstream TV

In Scotland it works well as the slang for one is wan, it can be a pretty common play on words. A lot of Europeans have a smattering of other languages and often speak english so I'd be suprised if a lot of us didn't get it.

I was thinking sometimes it's best to keep things simple. How about Ruan Industrial Design with this image as your logo? As I understand it it is the symbol for the name Ruan? This way you can cover the Chinese end and make it more exotic for the European side.

Anyway just a thought

View attachment 174609

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ha you guessed it right, just VERY WEIRD to see my Chinese last name up here, since it's actually a rare last name in Chinese too.

It'll work in the uk, as this is a pretty major ad on mainstream TV

In Scotland it works well as the slang for one is wan, it can be a pretty common play on words. A lot of Europeans have a smattering of other languages and often speak english so I'd be suprised if a lot of us didn't get it.

That's indeed quite speechless... but right in my alley!

Most reactions

Back