thinking of doing a favor for a friend

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
and as favors for friends go (one hand washes the other) i am trying to weigh out the value of it.
He runs a couple race cars in circle track, locally. Nothing like nascar just a couple tracks up here in the northeast division. He asked if i could shoot one, or two of the cars.

so what would one normally charge for shooting a race car? The purpose is the teams try to sell simple memorabilia 8x10's 4x5's whatever else etc.
I THINK i can figure out how to go about it far as shooting it i was thinking of having him trailer them to a better location and look up some lighting ideas online. . He said up front i can put my name " photography by" on the bottom of them in small letters (which is worth about nothing).
so.. what would one normally pay for this. How big a favor is this? If i do it i am planning two days, just to be safe. Then whatever post process (hopefully not much i dont know jack about pp). Time is kind of a issue too he wants it done in the next three weeks.

oh. i need to figure out how to put his signature on them as well. I usually just type my name in mine on each one and add it that way. Don't know how to do a actual signature. i don't even know how to do that. Kinda pondering the location aspect too. And just going old school and doing film, let him sign each one by hand.

Last edited:
what? No one knows the normal pricing for a race car portrait? :bouncingsmileys:

i just wanted a approximate guide, geez. Should i ask him to mow my lawn for this or something more like paint my shed.

Joe McNally's price would no doubt be vastly different from my 5 year old granddaughter's price due to the expected quality of the resulting image.

Where, exactly, YOUR quality and price point lies between the two is not something I can possibly guess at.

Joe McNally's price would no doubt be vastly different from my 5 year old granddaughter's price due to the expected quality of the resulting image.

Where, exactly, YOUR quality and price point lies between the two is not something I can possibly guess at.
fair enough.

okay. i will go down there with a 5mp point and shoot. Snap a photo of it sitting in the mud or snow. And ask him if he can paint my shed now.

I would do it without charging him. When he prints 100 and it costs him 100 dollars, sells them for 10 dollars each and makes 9, agree 10% of the profit, or some kind of areangment like that.

Lightroom is great for simple watermark s

First, here's what I recommend for a shot.

Boss by longm1985, on Flickr

Pan them. It's fairly easy-match the shutter speed to the speed of the car (125 mph means 1/125 shutter) and track the car as you shoot.

As for the signature, see if you can scan a signature of his, select the white baqckground and delete it, then keep the signature as an image file and use it as a watermark in Lightroom. If my signature wasn't complete **** I'd be using it as a watermark.

also,
if you only THINK you can figure out how to shoot it....
why would you charge for it?

Tell him you'll give it a go, and if he likes the results he can toss you a couple of pit passes and introduce you around to other drivers!

First, here's what I recommend for a shot.

Boss by longm1985, on Flickr

Pan them. It's fairly easy-match the shutter speed to the speed of the car (125 mph means 1/125 shutter) and track the car as you shoot.

As for the signature, see if you can scan a signature of his, select the white baqckground and delete it, then keep the signature as an image file and use it as a watermark in Lightroom. If my signature wasn't complete **** I'd be using it as a watermark.
looking for static shots with him kneeling beside the car. I don't have lightroom. I do have elements but have only used it a few times. Considering using film with off camera lighting. something different. Not sure if i dare to though, if i get them back from dev and they are chit i am screwed. Right now i need the snow to melt.

Tell him you'll give it a go, and if he likes the results he can toss you a couple of pit passes and introduce you around to other drivers!
Lol. No thanks. I don't even want to do this one. Just i have known him for a lot of years (since i was like 14)

also,
if you only THINK you can figure out how to shoot it....
why would you charge for it?
barter. Usually whatever girlfriend he with at the time does it. And it shows.
I have done enough for racing for free. Volunteered on another friends pit crew, set up this ones portfolio to get sponsors. I even let him use one of my cars once in spectator drag racing..Course they have done things for me too.
So bullshit, I am at least getting a case of beer out of this. LMAO

Most reactions

Back