Thinking of making the switch to digitalSLR

Jib

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting film for a long time with Canon. I have lenses i'd like to keep and continue to use so i'm thinking of the MarkII. What can folks out there hip me to about this switch?

Welcome to the forum.

There are many, many threads here...giving advice about switching to digital or purchasing your first DSLR. Most of them are for entry level DSLR cameras though...which means dealing with an APS-C sized sensor and the 'crop factor. If you are thinking of going right to the top, with a 1Ds Mk II...then there is no crop factor and your lenses will be the same as you are used to.

Other than that, I don't know what to say...the Mk II is probably the best DSLR currently avaliable. It is big and heavy...but built like a tank. Do you use a 1 series film body? If so, then you know what I mean. The Canon 5D is a much smaller body but still has a full frame (same as 35mm film) sensor...and is a fair bit less expensive...but it's not a pro body like the Mk II.

On another note...I've been reading rumors that Canon may be coming out with a new flagship DSLR in 2007. That might be a replacement for the 1Ds Mk II...or maybe not. If you want to buy the best that you can...then maybe hold off...at least until the PMA show in February, where they may introduce a new model. On the other hand, if there is a new model...the price of the current models will surely drop.

Oh, I almost forgot...do you shoot with a Canon EOS system? or an older system? Because only the autofocus EF lenses are compatible with the EOS system, which encompasses all the digital SLR cameras.

Thanks for the info. I currently shoot with EOS3.

The main thing that surprised me when I started with digital (I don't think of it as a switch, because I still shoot film too) was how much money I had to spend on stuff besides the camera. Is your computer up to snuff? Do you have 10 times more hard drive space than you think you'll need? Do you have good graphics editing software? Batteries, memory cards, etc... If you don't have this stuff already it's not just the camera body that that's going to cost you. A monitor calibrating system, RAW conversion software, more RAM, a good book about post-processing, it just seems to go on and on and on... Hope I'm not scaring you. ;) Digital is a lot of fun.

it is certainly not a cheap step. but did the EOS analog to EOS digital transition half a year ago, and I must say I felt at home with the new camera from the first day onwards.

as for memory and harddrives. i actually need less space on my harddrives for digital images nowadays than i needed for my scans from film ;)

but i agreee that batteries, memory cards and all were some considerable extra expenses.

also some of your old lenses you might not like anymore if you become a pixel peeper like i am sometimes. then you upgrade also some of your lenses. that was my main expense actually ;)

I think you would enjoy the Canon 5D. It is effectively the digital version of the EOS 3. It's got a full-sized sensor (the size of a piece of 35mm film i.e. 24x36mm) but is not "pro" only in the sense that it is not super-weather proof. If you're going to be stationed in Iraq or are shooting a lot of hard-core weather, then you'd want something really sealed. The EOS 3 isn't, so I assume the 5D will suit you just fine.

Yeah, there are some costs associated with going digital, but I think you will be pleased that you did. My "A-ha!" moment came when I was shooting inside and out, and realized I could change the ISO (known as ASA in film) with every shot. Suddenly I wasn't just "limited" to aperture and shutter speed, but if there was a shot I wanted to get indoors I didn't have to wait for the next roll, I could switch as I needed to.

What matters are your lenses, and they will work identically on the 5D.

Have fun, and stick around the forums. Every question (no matter how simple-seeming to you) will be answered with a friendly demeanor.

Have a good weekend.

Most reactions

Back