Thinking of Photography

red03stang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone
I am thinking of a career change. I am 28 years old and very interested in graphic design / photography. I am also ADD, so its hard for me to pay attention to things that arent interesting for more than a few minutes.

Back to my point. How much experience/schooling would someone need to be a pro sports photographer. I realize most are large firms but im interested in being the one taking the photos at sporting events.

Thank you in advance

Well if you dont pay attention chances are you are going to miss THE SHOT so if I was you I would try and do a small intern job see if its really for you or if you are capable of doing the job.

thats kinda the thing sports are one of the few things i can pay attention too.

an internship sounds great i am going to see if there is someone local i could work with

Realize that sports photography will be VERY hard to get into. First off, the equipment needed is the MOST expensive of all types of photography. Also, it is VERY competetive. If you arent downright amazing you will need many connections with people already in the industry.

Good luck! I wish i could be a sports photographer aswell.

thats kinda the thing sports are one of the few things i can pay attention too.

an internship sounds great i am going to see if there is someone local i could work with

You see that's the thing you don't just one day decide you want to shoot sports and start shooting for Sports Illustrated. Most people have a degree in either journalism photography or both and then start as an intern with a small newspaper to get some experience. And then, mabye if you are goo you can move up to a larger paper all the time remembering in the beginning there are no stricltly sports shooters. You need to pay your dues and get experince before making a career out of it.

thank you for your answers so far

journalism is def not gonna be a strong suit for me.
as i have a horrible time with reading. I have a strong vocabulary my prob is staying on task without my mind wandering

my next question is

How much reading is involved in a photography degree?

thank you for your answers so far

journalism is def not gonna be a strong suit for me.
as i have a horrible time with reading. I have a strong vocabulary my prob is staying on task without my mind wandering

my next question is

How much reading is involved in a photography degree?

read Understanding Exposure. not a long book. read in small increments if you have trouble staying on track.

to do sports and to sell your photos, you are looking at a pretty big investment. fast, quality glass and a pro camera body to start.

what kinda price is a pro body/also pro lens for sports

i realize im not gonna start doin this stuff tomorrow i realize that. But i am just tryin to get an idea on what it would take to get to my dream job.

Most reactions

Back