Thinking of Quitting my "Real" Job

Quit your job, buy an air mattress, pack up your camera gear, get in your car and drive around the country for 6 months visiting every relative, friend and acquaintance you've ever had.

Oh! To be young and free and smart enough to take advantage of it!!!!!
Come now, you are talking as silly as someone who wants a Stable, Light, & Cheap tripod. You can only pick TWO!!!!

I'm still waiting to hear back from my govt boss about the duration of the position. I'm doing marketing work for them, and they literally don't have a single marketing person on staff, so I could potentially end up being their permanent marketing person.
Uhh...

Is there anything about "upside" that you don't quite understand?

:sneaks off to google who Clint Eastwood is:

eek.png

I'm still waiting to hear back from my govt boss about the duration of the position. I'm doing marketing work for them, and they literally don't have a single marketing person on staff, so I could potentially end up being their permanent marketing person.
Uhh...

Is there anything about "upside" that you don't quite understand?

?

You're a third of the way thru the job now, is there any possibility of it wrapping up in less than a year? By fall you might be close to looking for another job anyway so you're talking a few/several months. Leaving a job after four months that you committed to do for a year long project seems like it's going to leave them shorthanded with your job being hard to fill - I don't know that I'd necessarily expect a good reference.

You don't know yet if the govt. job will lead to something fulltime/long term - and the boss may not even be able to tell you that. Here county/state jobs have to be posted, the job cannot just be given to anyone without going thru the application/interview process even if you already work there (someone might be likely to get a posted job but anyone who applies has to be considered).

But you already took the part time job so this seems to be more about how to get out of the current job. I'd consider giving them as much notice as possible and maybe you'll be working both jobs for a time so they can find a replacement.

I always go to the highest bidder but I'm in construction

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
That's what all the working girls say. :biggrin-93:

What have you erected lately?:laugh2:

I would recommend go with what makes you happy, but try to plan it out as much as possible. Some would say stick it out for the job security, but in some cases these days there is no such thing as job security especially if you are working under a big company. Many companies these days are often looking for ways to cut expenses and sometimes outsource so they won't have to worry about employee insurance and what not. Meaning in some case your company can cut you for good to no reason.

Also I feel that if you are unhappy at a job, it will eventually lead to health issues such as depression and other medical problems that essentially effect your performance. And since some employers will see it as slacking instead of you actually being ill from depression and other medical deterioration (because they are horrible at being managers), they may assume you are no longer a good match for them and cut you loose (sometimes ignoring the warning signs of it being their poor working conditions that lead to it). I essentially believe that a person's job position is dependent on both the employee himself and the employer's management ability. If one or both of those have a weak spot, it will come to the a head and can lead to loss of employment. So if you are sad and depressed at your job, I believe it will eventually show and become obvious in your performance.

I think its best to leave when you feel you can't bare it anymore. Its better than trying to break your back to maintain the job and feeling used a the end after enduring a lot of sadness to keep it and still get cut lose.

So I recommend take this new opportunity even if its temporary. It's still money that you can save and prepare for a new job change. I am not sure about how it may look on your resume; but if you ultimately plan to become self employed it may not matter. Just don't let the job affect your health and please remember depression and anxiety IS MEDICAL! No job is worth your health and sanity because if you are sick are no value to the job any and you struggle that much to generate income.

*but to each is own. Be as smart and tactful about the decision as possible.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back