Thinking of switching from Nikon to Canon

I ask a simple question n all I get is 6 pages of internet junk, please keep the discussion related to the topic.

It's a public forum and a thread can develope in any number of unforseen directions.

So no matter what I buy today it will be obsolete in three years in a competitive market?
No. It won't be obsolete, but in 3 years the technology being offered will have advanced.

Exactly! Accoding to Moores Law it also becomes less expensive as well. Now the manufacturers will indeed try to convince you it is obsolete so you purchase the latest, and greatest.

Anyone want to do me now? :lmao:

I dont know are you an M or F? Will I need beer bottle goggles?

I've been using Canon for most of my 35 years shooting sports and have gone though all the generations of cameras and lenses, I stopped at the 1D mkll. In two weeks I have 30k worth on Nikon gear arriving on a trial from Nikon, I have no doubts that I will be switching this year and not because I believe that Nikon is superior, I think they are both close to being equal although they both have the good and bad. Why the switch, I'm sick of being treated like crap as a professional in the eyes of Canon. Nikon came to me with the offer of the gear, I feel like they have more respect for professionals now. Canon dropped me from their CPS after being a member since 1980, seems that having three 1D bodies, 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8, 400 2.8, that are older than 2 years doesn't qualify anymore. If I need Canon gear I have to rent it, Nikon pro service is free, Canon charges $250, Nikon loans gear no charge. As a professional I appreciate what I have been offered.

I ask a simple question n all I get is 6 pages of internet junk, please keep the discussion related to the topic.

Probably because you acted like a douche bag and insulted members that were trying to help you. Why should we care? You feel like you own your thread. Guess what, it's the internet. People are going to post in your thread. Deal with it.

I started out with Nikon as a youngster when it was the thing in film, with great lens, then went to Canon for its marketing and they finally met nikon on lens quality. I stayed with them 35 yrs until I converted to digital. Some major points are, Canon has abandoned local pro photo shops, dealers are having tremendous problems dealing with them, Canon is into mass marketing walmart, best buy etc. Their long fast pro lens are seen all the time on the football field side line, they do have that market. That's why they appear to be on tv so much. Their marketing also is obvious on tv shows where actors who know nothing about photography are using them. If you are planning on a career of sports photography and are planning on spending thounsands for a couple of lens, go with Canon, by all means. I did a lot of reserch before putting the bucks out for a DSLR and it was hard for me to let go of tradition, but bang for buck Nikon won hands down! Now that I'm back and used to new bells and whistels in differant places, I love it! Be careful and compare apples to apples, Canon marketing is very crafty. Also I've found that because of popularity Canon lens hold value better, funny since they have always been viewed second to Nikon lens. I find used Nikon lens and accs cheaper. Don't know where you're headed in the craft, but I have to say Nikon for now is the way to go. Check out the D7000, with a grip/spare battery adapter, it's a jewel. Good Luck!

What Canon did years ago was the smart move, changing the colour of their lenses to white, they stand out. They have walked away from treating the professional market as a professional market. Charging professionals that are spending tens of thousands on Canon gear to be part of their pro membership is a joke. They are pushing the amateur market. As far as shooting sports goes, people see the white lenses on tv, they don't see Nikon, and Nikon has caught up with Canon in camera quality and more sports shooters and agencies are starting to switch. Canon will always be strong, but Nikon is on a huge push back to the pros.

They have walked away from treating the professional market as a professional market.

Actually they walked away with the pro market because there auto-focus was significantly better than Nikons, not because of the colour of the lenses.

What I always find amusing is the number of "photographers" that rave on about being sports photographers. They talk about what sports they shoot, how good they are, and then talk about the longest lens they own is a 70-200mm, if you're shooting sports and that's all the glass you have you're an amateur playing in the professional world. I like hearing about the Sports Illustrated guys, and how the Getty( photo leeches) guys are using this or that, I see Canon on tv so they must be better, you see Canon on tv because of the white lenses. Doesn't mean that SI is using all Canon. Some of the old school guys at SI are still trying to figure out how the gear works, that's why they have grunts with them, back in the film days, some didn't even load their own cameras, or carry their their own gear, or set up the remotes, and they didn't pay for their own gear. I have a lot of respect for some of the SI guys, great shooters and nice guys to work with, but there are a lot that are complete jerks, the ones that start the conversation off with "I'm with SI"

Sorry got a little off topic.

Formatted you didn't realy read what I wrote, Canon created a visual market with the white lenses. Canon does have great autofocus, Nikon does as well. Caon pushed ot the MKlll before it was ready and had focusing problems, they came very close to losing a bigger chunk of the pro market after that one. I know some pros that dropped Canon because of the MKlll. It was the windows vista of the camera world.

Canon does have great autofocus, Nikon does as well.

I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about in 1995 when everyone dropped Nikon and moved to Canon. They are only just starting to come back.

Most reactions

Back