Thinking of Upgrading

poker_jake

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would you do?I have been thinking of upgrading lately and came up with two paths for upgrading:

Sell D700 and buy D4

or

Sell 50mm 1.4g, 70-300mm and buy 24-70 f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8

Neither of these would happen for atleast 3-4 months. I'm leaning towards number two but the D4 with it's upgraded low light, bigger buffer, af system, dual card and added resolution is tempting.

Buy $6,000 DSLR to use $500 worth of glass?

Wut?

The choice should be clear.

What would you do?I have been thinking of upgrading lately and came up with two paths for upgrading:

I'm leaning towards number two but the D4 with it's upgraded low light, bigger buffer, af system, dual card and added resolution is tempting.

I'm afraid you are the only one that can really say that it will be a boon to your photography or not.

For me it would come down to looking at my glass shortcomings first and upgrade the glass first route before the body. Unless the body is in some way failing me or getting in the way of getting the shot.

o hey tyler said:
Buy $6,000 DSLR to use $500 worth of glass?

Wut?

The choice should be clear.

I wouldn't sell the 50/1.4 for a 24-70/70-200 under any condition.

poker_jake said:
I wish my lenses only cost $500! That's why I'm leaning towards option 2.

Okay $800 in lenses. Sell the zoom, keep the prime.

poker_jake said:
I wish my lenses only cost $500! That's why I'm leaning towards option 2.

Okay $800 in lenses. Sell the zoom, keep the prime.

That would still be one hell of a deal for 4 lenses but it doesn't matter. My 50mm is my least used lens, my 16-35 is most followed by the 100mm macro and 70-300.

The lenses make the most sense. You have a phenomenal camera and cheap glass. Depending on which 70-300 you have isn't one of them for crop sensors only?

The lenses make the most sense. You have a phenomenal camera and cheap glass. Depending on which 70-300 you have isn't one of them for crop sensors only?

I love the camera, it's been great! The 70-300 is FX, and decent, pretty much bought it for shooting airplanes at work, but I bet the 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 or 1.7 would be close in quality.

poker_jake said:
Meh, it is what it is, a 24-70 2.8 would get a lot more use.

And it would be a whole lot more boring too. 24-70 @ f/2.8 is a total yawn fest IMO. I guess it's convenient to some, but I personally would rather have something less yawn inducing.

GLWPAFE.

poker_jake said:
Meh, it is what it is, a 24-70 2.8 would get a lot more use.

And it would be a whole lot more boring too. 24-70 @ f/2.8 is a total yawn fest IMO. I guess it's convenient to some, but I personally would rather have something less yawn inducing.

GLWPAFE.

Can't get much more boring than a 50mm

Yes you can. Buy a 24-70/2.8.

Insta boring 2,400 bucks later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back