Thinking retro

OK, I’ll admit I may not be a final judge in art, however I do recognize what I like; i.e. Picasso is not a favorite. Much of abstract art is not appealing, so when I see something interestingly creative and out of the ordinary such as this shot, I say I like it. My choices are Rubens, some of Rembrandt, Toulouse, and several others during the Italian renaissance. Skateboarding, NASCAR and motorcycle racing photos do not rattle my cage. Black and whites of anything offer excellent moods and interpretation of feelings whereas color is rather straight forward…..if you’re not color blind.

Anyway…this has been fun. I'm sure we could go on with our views and hopefully agree to disagree.

Early morning thoughts……

What if I were to offer you something that you considered valuable and your friend (s) told you is was worthless, would you then say it was worthless also? Would you attempt to realize that person’s issues and perhaps offer corrective construction? Therein lays individual reasoning and that, I believe, is where the distinction of quality levels come to play. What you think is important, not what everyone else’s opinions are. Repeating the saying regarding beauty, eye and beholder has always been the critical judgment rule. Is the king wearing clothes?

And yes, hail “1984”…..it is upon us. This country does not have enough civil discourse to guide us. We, the people, have given that power away.

Okay, okay from now on i will say to me this is crap but you can decide for yourself. lol

I always thought that was accepted that it was one man's opinon only. I can spell it out from now on.

By the way they all knew the king was nude they were just afraid to say it peer presser and govt pressure sound familiar.

Good morning....
Taking a position and arguing it is very healthy for both sides. There's always someone who knows more than me and I attempt to listen, understand and always respect their opinions.
"An ignorant man asks no question."

There was a discussion on another thread recently about those pesky group photos at weddings. Today something came up that deserves exploring. Since I really don't want to get into a controversy and this sounds a little contrived ( which it isnt) I thought I would hide it away here.

First of all my wife's mother had to be sent to a nursing home. She has degenerative lung disease. While there her younger sister died, so she has had a pretty rough time. Most of her brothers and sisters have passed away but that isn't the story.

The story is this. She had a nephew that for some reason my wife called Uncle Woodie even though he was her cousin. I know get to the point please. Well Woodie was a professional photographer in their home town. Struggling to make ends meet I'm sure. In 1953 one of the family memebers got married and Woodie did the wedding pictures. They are all black and white even though there was some color available then.

Woodie pulled out his negatives from that wedding last week and reprinted the family group picture. The one everybody hates to make. All the parents grand parents sisters and brother and all their kids were standing in a line no special pose and certainly no art there. He sent copies to all the surviving kids. Now Uncle Woodie has to be at least eighty years old. Guess there weren't any sales of the image left.

Anyway my wife visits her mother after work every night. Tonight she was an hour late coming home. She and her mother looked at the picture and they told family stories. A wedding was the only time the whole family managed to get to gether, it seems.

What a drag to have to shoot those old fashioned stock pictures.

Sorry to hear of your family member’s illness

Those stock photos were the mainstay of family reunions. Us kids would whoop up when it came time to gather and “pose” for the picture. Same for the old 8mm movie cameras with four flood lights on the bar. The lights were blinding and when the film was viewed everyone had a Chinese squint about them. Years gone by.

I'm a member of another forum that is mostly about alternative processes. paper negs, cobbled cameras and penholes, Today their new newsletter came out and one of the images it features is an image of mine from the paper negative files. Thought I would repost it here just for the heck of it, It's here somewhere already,
bones1_2179.jpg

The image got a lot of good reviews most everywhere but here... lol....

Anyone reading this most likely knows I shoot with antique glass. I recently got this hair crosswise so decided to pull out my 35mm slr and shoot it. Then I went to shoot my leica knock off. I put the film through my dedicated 35mm scanner. It was sharp enough, it was contrasty, it was really nice looking stuff. That is if you haven't been shooting large negs and antique glass.

It was sharp, and contrasty okay, but it was also hard and cold. I know that is impossible since film only shows what you put on it, but it honestly is cold and hard. The antiques for whatever reason have a warmth that is missing from the modern stuff.

Thought I would mention this and this thread seemed like the place to do it.

Most reactions

Back