This Evening...

gw2424

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We went kayaking and the guy with the kayaks on his truck was about 40minutes late...In the middle of our trip with our guide Matt, the tide was rushing out and we were stuck within a few minutes. Little did we know, it was going to suck even more. We were experiencing some extreme cold as it was quite windy, and we were soaked. At this point there were 9 people stranded, three of which were kids. There were quite a few Cops, Firefighters, and EMS people watching us from a bridge quite far away. We had no way of getting to them and it was getting quite dangerous so we made the call to the Coast Guard and they sent a helicopter for us coming from Savannah, Georgia. The tide was on it's way back in so we were able to reach the bridge before the helicopter came to us. We were stranded for 5 1/2 hrs and just got home.

I am sure that I missed something. This is just a quick blurb so please excuse some punctuation errors. I would provide pictures but in order to keep my (and my siblings) safe I will not post any. This is quite surreal and I am somewhat in shock that it happened. It feels like a dream.

How has your evening been?

Gabe

This seems like an awesome opportunity for candid photographs! Glad to hear you made it out okay.

This seems like an awesome opportunity for candid photographs! Glad to hear you made it out okay.

It would have been! I was considering bringing my camera on this "leisurely and enjoyable day-trip;" fortunately, I did not. If I would have I would have a T3i and 70-200 covered in mud and worthless to a photographer.

Sounds like the makings of a Gilligans island show. . . but in kayaks? Really? Sounds like a poor operation these dudes are running.

Your guide had his head up his a$$ and hopefully you got some money back on the trip. He should have at least know that all you had to do was wait and the tide would come back in. Glad you are all ok.

It would have been! I was considering bringing my camera on this "leisurely and enjoyable day-trip;" fortunately, I did not. If I would have I would have a T3i and 70-200 covered in mud and worthless to a photographer.

Ah, this is true. Buy a film camera! Those things are built like tanks, and have no electrical components to be ruined by mud and moisture. A plastic bag / rain cover is also very cheap and will protect your camera from such elements (besides submerging it in water, obviously)

It was not the guide's but the owners fault. The guide did all he could to make it run smoothly and was early. The owner was late and more than unprepared. The owner didn't even have a flashlight on him! Luckily, the Police Officers set up a very bright lamp near the bridge. By the way, we did just end up waiting out the tide but due to the risk involved (medical conditions, children) the guide thought it was better to play it safe. Was fully refunded, offered another trip, and then offered some money on the side.

It was not the guide's but the owners fault. The guide did all he could to make it run smoothly and was early. The owner was late and more than unprepared. The owner didn't even have a flashlight on him! Luckily, the Police Officers set up a very bright lamp near the bridge. By the way, we did just end up waiting out the tide but due to the risk involved (medical conditions, children) the guide thought it was better to play it safe. Was fully refunded, offered another trip, and then offered some money on the side.

The guide didn't get you to shore. . . or how else where you being picked up?

If the guide didn't get you to shore. . . how were you picked up?

The guide was able to get us to the bridge where there was a boat ramp. The helicopter ended up heading back to Savannah.

Most reactions

Back