This goes out to everyone who went to school for photography

Yahoozy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am 16 and a junior in high school, and I am under ever-increasing pressure to find a college to go to when I finish school.

My question is, for a career in photography, be it a photojournalist or owning my own photo business or something else, exactly what is the best approach in terms of which college to go to and what to study.

I've heard a lot of opinions from a lot of sources, including but not limited to my parents, brother, and various teachers, but I felt like getting an opinion from someone who really knows what to do for this specific situation, and someone who has already done just that.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate any and all help you can offer! :mrgreen:

PS - I know that this question has been undoubtedly raised before, but my computer is going far too slow to hold my attention

If you have a local Vo-tech or tradeschool school like BOCES that we have here, I would look to see if they carry Photography classes, This could give you a head start as these courses care available to highschool juniors and seniors. When I attended BOCES, near the end of my senoir year they did presentations for continuing education it the field and provided plenty of information on schools for whatever vocation at hand. For instance I took automotive repair and refinishing and got tons of information on NTI (NASCAR Technical Institute), UTI (Universal Technical Institute), NADC (Nashville Auto Deisel college) and the like.

Do you mean community colleges?
I was thinking of taking a photo class there over the summer, seeing as I have had no formal education up to this point

Thanks Bat, thats a plan I've yet to hear =P

Do you mean community colleges?
I was thinking of taking a photo class there over the summer, seeing as I have had no formal education up to this point

Thanks Bat, thats a plan I've yet to hear =P

Not what I was saying but I think they'll work. What I am reffering to are below community colleges and are actually part of the regular school system at a high school level, But I do not know if that kind of system exists in your location.

I don't think so, our school ain't exactly a high end one

I don't think so, our school ain't exactly a high end one

...I attended public high school.....Ask your guidance councler if such a program exists, they are going to be the ones who know.

*EDIT*

If he/she needs a beter understanding of what I am trying to discribe give them this url

http://www.caboces.org/page.asp?PageID=31&SectionID=18

Granted that is the western Ney York and is technically of little use to you in CA but it should give an understanding of what the schools are.

ah that's great hahah

thanks man, this is a great start =D

If you want to own a business, then you should be taking business courses.

You can pick up whatever type of business you want to have as a minor. (unless you want to practice medicine, engineering, architecture or law that is.)

A college education is one of the most expensive things you'll buy... think of it as investment. An investment that has to have a a good chance at a return. As such, you should pick a field of study and apply photography to it... You want to open a photography business, study business or marketing. You want to be a journalist, then pick journalism, writing, or communications. Many colleges can tailor your program to your interest in photography or (like already mention) augment your education with programs at vo-tecs and community colleges.

Anyone catch that article about the increasing cost of education in the U.S? I was all into the article until they talked about a woman who spent 4 years and $140000 on a degree in Photography. She's completely in the hole and moving back with Mom and Dad. What was she thinking? I know college education costs have risen but she's at about double the national average. Sheesh, the only person I know that spent that much is a surgical doctor. There is no doubt that he will see a return.

Ah thanks Mike and Usayit that makes a lot of things clear to me :mrgreen:

Education is almost never a bad thing...but Photography is one area where real experience is often just as more more valuable.

I would suggest getting in touch with some local professionals and try to find out how they got to where they are. Get plenty of different opinions because this is a topic that can be quite polarizing. If you have a local Photographer's Association, contact them.

Maybe you can even get a job and/or some experience in the industry before you have to decide on which direction you want your education to take.

And of course, maybe you should just go to school to become a doctor or a dentist...that way, you will actually be able to afford all the photography gear you want :lol:

And of course, maybe you should just go to school to become a doctor or a dentist...that way, you will actually be able to afford all the photography gear you want :lol:

hahah that's one idea

thanks ill keep my eyes open =P

I think extending education beyond high school is the most important thing a person can do. However, I have tutored and trained enough photography majors in the past to tell you that what you learn in 4 years at your local state university is the equivalent of what you can learn in approximately 4-6 months on your own. You will waste 3+ years of your time and a lot of money basically for just a piece of paper. My recommendation to anyone wanting a career in photography is to get your photography training on your own time and go for a business major. This way when your 4 years are done you will have learned (on your own) how to be a photographer and (through college) you will have learned how to be a successful one. Because in this business talent only goes so far ... if you don't know how to run the business you will most likely fail.

I graduated from SVA Photography college: Photography school in New York and photography schools at the School of Visual Arts

Consider where you want to go with photography. If you want to compete in markets like LA and NY on any level a strong background will help things along immensely. If you want to compete on a retail level in smaller markets then take a bunch of marketing courses and visit strobist.com.

Either way your work will be your calling card. Concentrate on that. A strong book is the key to your advancement in the field.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back