This goes out to everyone who went to school for photography

Try doing some work experience with your local photographer.

Remember, you might not want to do this long term in three or four years time. Work experience will give you some insight.

going to college is fun. It sucks to have to go back when you are older and have a family. Go. study photography or something else (business, art, etc). You will kick yourself if you dont.

thanks, guys
i've heard some of this before but hearing it from you guys who have already experienced it and recommend it really helps =D

I'm in agreement with most of the advise given; if you *think* you want to own your own studio/business, major in, well....business.

I put think in asteriks, only because what you want now, may not be what you want 3, 4, 8 years from now. Then you'd have a degree in photography that wouldn't be able to translate into any other field very well. Business...marketing are both broad enough to give you that leeway.

I know someone who absolutely loves to cook, but after attending a highly regarded chef school and resteraunt in the city, they hated it. Just because you love to do something and have extreme interest in it doesn't mean you will want to pursue it on a professional level [read : deal with the bs that comes along with it].

Just trying to offer a different perspective.

i strongly suggest studying something useful,in demand and that pays well first. so that certainly excludes photography. make sure you research how many traditional revenue streams like stock are in near ruins for joe blow photographer. newspapers that employ photographers are downsizing massively and going out of business left and right.

Unless your parents are loaded and generous then learn something where you can get a nest egg going to market yourself(this includes things like airline tickets,ect) ,get equipment, bank roll projects, ect. without killing yourself and to fall back on if things don't work out.

Realize when you walk out of that overpriced photography school...nobody knows you, nobody cares one lick about you and you will probably have a hill of debt from a nearly useless degree. Also, beyond photojournalism for a newspaper nobody cares if you have a degree in photography or not when looking for work...it's all about your book,real world experience and if they can use you or not. If newspaper pj is what you want then usually a degree is required but realize there are tons of experienced veteran pj's out there getting laid off and not finding new work.

After you graduate with something useful then take workshops, evening classes for photography, buy lots of books. If you have actual talent and real business savvy then that's all you need anyway for the education side of it.

Last edited:
i strongly suggest studying something useful,in demand and that pays well first. so that certainly excludes photography. make sure you research how many traditional revenue streams like stock are in near ruins for joe blow photographer. newspapers that employ photographers are downsizing massively and going out of business left and right.

Unless your parents are loaded and generous then learn something where you can get a nest egg going to market yourself(this includes things like airline tickets,ect) ,get equipment, bank roll projects, ect. without killing yourself and to fall back on if things don't work out.

Realize when you walk out of that overpriced photography school...nobody knows you, nobody cares one lick about you and you will probably have a hill of debt from a nearly useless degree. Also, beyond photojournalism for a newspaper nobody cares if you have a degree in photography or not when looking for work...it's all about your book,real world experience and if they can use you or not. If newspaper pj is what you want then usually a degree is helpful/required but realize there are tons of experienced pj's out there getting laid off and not finding new work.

Take workshops, evening classes for photography, buy lots of books. If you have actual talent and real business savvy then that's all you need anyway for the education side of it.

How long have you been in photography and in what capacity? Can you tell us in detail why you are so bitter about an amazing profession. Photography on a professional level takes a strong commitment. Marketing classes and photo workshops will not get you very far.

Love & Bass

that is exactly what i needed to hear hahah

thanks man =P

Yahoozy... sorry if it sounds bitter according to craig here. Try this ...you will be greeted with rose petals thrown in the air upon your graduation by all editors,ad agencies, galleries and established photogs. money will be thrown at you just because you are YOU and simply taking pictures of your neighbor's dog will get you a 6 month assignment at NG. also, said editors,ad agencies, galleries and established photogs will all sit around in a circle and sing kumbaya to make you feel welcome. :hugs:

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hug:::hug:::hug:::hug::

I may have been a little vague. I mean to say that if you do choose photography as a career it will take a very strong commitment. An undergrad or graduate program will immerse you in a very complex field. Being around other students and faculty who share your commitment is also a large part of it. Another approach is getting a job assisting preferably in NY or LA or a large market. Although not as fun, you will learn the ropes. May be slightly harder to work on your own book. Again you will need a strong commitment.

A half assed approach of marketing classes and photo workshops will certainly save you time and money, but I guarantee you will miss out on all the lovely singing and dancing that photography has to offer.

Love & Bass

Do something in that relates to photoghraphy--not take a photography course. Such as a business course or a journalism course (i beleive you said you might be interested in being a photojounalist)

No person walking into a photography studio is going to ask to see your degree in photography.

Also, the increase in pay as a photographer is very small (like 2000 a year) from having a degree and not having one. And with all the money you spent on college, you could have spent on some high end equipment instead of spending 25 years paying back a loan.

As I said, Spend your money on a course that relates to a job in photgraphy. Any photography course will teach you basic things you can find browsing the internet and if they teach you anything about the art side of photography, theyll teach you how THEY want you to see the world behind the lens.

Here's the article..

Student loans turn into crushing burden for unwary borrowers - Los Angeles Times

$140,000 for a bachelor's in photography? Don't do the same and invest in something (anything) that has a small chance in a return on investment.... especially when you have to go into debt to do so.

Invest in something that is either related to photograph or can be applied. According to the OP, Photojournalism is a good option.

Most reactions

Back