This is a risky post - warning! Rant thread! You may be tired of me already...

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, folks, I was finally able to get my new YN 560's to fire with their optical slave by triggering them with the built in flash on my D90! Yay, right? :cheer:

Now on to my rant. My Cowboy transmitter/receivers actually arrived at my house after they were misrouted to another state. That drama has ended. New drama--they don't work! "But why?!" you ask....

I dunno. The small cord that was included in the box is confusing--does it attach the transmitter to the camera or the receiver to the flash? :scratch:

One end of the cord has a plug that fits into the transmitter, but the other end does not attach to the D90, so I don't think it's supposed to attach the transmitter to the camera body. Interestingly enough, the end of the cord that does not attach to the camera WILL attach to the flash! BUT, the other end does not attach to the receiver! WTF?! :gah: :gah: :gah: :gah: :gah:

So what I have is a cord that has a single "good end" (it will attach to something) and one "bad end" (it will attach to nothing).

There you go! That's my rant! After all the drama just trying to get my receivers, when they arrive they are DOA in terms of usage!

Maybe I'm just an idiot--I assumed they they would work with the YN 560 and my D90. Seems the answer is no to that little query.

So, today, I'm turning over a new leaf! I'm headed to the B&H website to buy some REAL radio slaves that will work with my setup. Let's hope I find something that works so nobody has to read about all my drama anymore. I don't want to become the next AmateurAllie or AMOMENT. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your attention. Carry on and happy weekend!

You don't need the cord. The cord is in case your camera doesn't have a hotshoe. You would use it to connect the transmitter to the PC port on your camera (which your camera probably doesn't have).

You don't need the cord. The cord is in case your camera doesn't have a hotshoe. You would use it to connect the transmitter to the PC port on your camera (which your camera probably doesn't have).

Nice. I struggled with this stupid thing last night for 30 minutes before I said to hell with it. I will take a closer look tonight.

Thanks!

Okay, folks, I was finally able to get my new YN 560's to fire with their optical slave by triggering them with the built in flash on my D90! Yay, right? :cheer:

!

Glad to hear you finally go the 560's to fire in slave mode... what was the issue? I have never had any issue with mine.

The leads looks like it is for studio flash, one end connects to reciever and jack plug for studio flash

The lead can serve muti purposes, It can go from the PC Output of the camera (The D90 does not have one) to the transmitter in the case where you have a flash mounted to the top of the camera and can't place the transmitter there.
or it can be used from the receiver to a flash's PC input ( if they have one , Yonguno's do) instead of using the hot shoe. Or it could be used with studio strobes but you would most likely need an adapter from PC to 3.5mm or 1/4" plug

Most reactions

Back