This is getting a little bit annoying

Pirate Neilsouth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pirateneilsouth.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few things that have always bothered me with replies on numorus photography forums is inconsistency. I can take the shot doesn't work for me not my sort of image , however i hate it when people reply looks fake or such and such colour looks wrong. The colour looks wrong was a fantasy image i had done , it was a fantasy it was not real i had said this !. They then go on to reply to another shot with purple skies and creamy white water to say great shot. ...

Creamy water isn't natural , its only seen via a long exposure not the human eye so why is it not fake?. Purple skies , clouds in streaks again caused by long exposure and an nd grad again not natural. The human eye did not see this at the time. Same with HDR , most of them not natural yet the same person would say brilliant shot with no comments of Looks fake.

One person done a devilish landscape of buildings , with strong red skies massive over saturation and guess what " Great shot , works well ". So my blueish,green tree's and white sky is wrong ? , "it looks fake" yet a blood red sky with over saturated buildings and redish/purple tinted clouds are good.

I've done the odd black and white with deep blacks and nice whites with plenty of detail because of comments like " too gray , it should be black and white ". Yet i get again "looks fake" , "the clouds look wrong" or "the sky is too black" but the same person would reply on another image that's black and white a textured building it's so black with hardly any detail in the blacks GREAT SHOT.

It would be like me saying i HATE horror movies , will never watch them. But i go out to watch a horror movie because it looks like a good horror.

I did a test once , i did an image in colour and the replies " doesn't really work for me in colour , would look great in black and white ". I then kept the same image and posted it one month later but in black and white. Guess what i got " I prefer colour " , " i'd like to see it in colour not black and white ". SAME PEOPLE , different day... Same image :grumpy:

Don't think those people have much of a visual memory. Hmmm.

I feel your pain --- I see this all the time here on the forums and often ask myself, "What are they seeing that I am not?" I see so many beautiful photos just vanish in the shuffle without so much as a nice shot comment and then see other very bad photos where everyone jumps on board to say how beautiful the shot is. One post in particular stands out in my mind from several month ago - I had posted a shot here that had a predominately green background and of the three comments it received, all stated that my color saturation needed to be bumped up because my colors did not pop...at the same time someone posted a shot of some children, their skin was so yellow [because of over saturation and a white balance issue] that they looked jaundiced. The greens and reds so over saturated that the kids lips looked like they had been eating cherries, their hair was not blonde, but sunfower yellow and the bushes in the background were such a garish green that they caused me to squint my eyes against the color. This post got so many "beautiful shots" "excellent exposure" "great color" comments that I wanted to scream! But, I just moved on and kept my trap shut because thats the way it goes...its maddening at times I know, but I try to tell myself that different monitors produce different results and I must just be seeing things differently.

It's a public forum. People are going to post their thoughts, their opinions. Some will be informed, others less so. Often comments relating to colour and saturation relate back to the fact that you and the person posting the comment have monitors with different colour profiles, so what looks perfect on your monitor, may look out to lunch on mine.

Bottom line, take the bitter with the better or don't post. It's as simple as that.

It's a public forum. People are going to post their thoughts, their opinions. Some will be informed, others less so. Often comments relating to colour and saturation relate back to the fact that you and the person posting the comment have monitors with different colour profiles, so what looks perfect on your monitor, may look out to lunch on mine.

Bottom line, take the bitter with the better or don't post. It's as simple as that.

You completely missed my point , my point was how can one image look fake when another doesn't , when the one that doesn't is far more processed and over the top. I'm not talking just about my images but others aswell. Read back about the fantasy part. This is not about monitor profiles... Unless ofcause you are not replying to me ;)

This was the main point in my post. The bit about monitor profiles was just an incidental.

Well, only if they don't calibrate their monitor. :-/

It is because what people perceive as right. The eye is used to seeing certain things. People who have been to vegas would have seen a myriad of colours so pure that they would think it's normal. You try to saturate an image you just get saturation, you don't actually increase colours beyond the gamut the screen is capable of reproducing. Brain says yeah it's oversaturated but ok I'll deal with it.

Black and white on the other hand, especially some with real careful tone control *looks* fake. Just looks to some people because of preconditioning. Anyone who has seen a lot of black and white pictures or reads actual newspapers would be conditioned to it, but a lot of people especially younger ones will experience a fake sensation.

The same can be said for tonemapped images. Those kids chasing their fancy HDR image with 0 clipped highlights or shadows tonemapped to death think it's all the rage because the would have seen plenty of them, where as some of the old folks on this forum would think back fondly of their normal landscapes and say HDR... looks like arse and shake vigorously on their walking sticks.

Perception of realism is different to different people.

I have noticed that people seem to love disgusting over processed images on this forum. The only opinion that matters is your own anyway (and your clients if you have them) so forget about it. Sounds more like you are looking for validation and now are getting upset that you didn't hear what you wanted to hear.

Well some people are more technically minded, and don't relay on personal feeling towards a picture; thats my take anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back