This is how bad JPEG compression is: (imagesize warning)

This is definitely an eye-opener! Also makes me want to start shooting in RAW, although I would like to research it more first. I've heard it makes editing a whole lot nicer on the photo (a problem I have experienced in the past)

Again, thanks for this post. Real interesting stuff!

God willing we'll all migrate to JPEG2000 soon, but given that it's already 2008....

Yup! JPEG2000 and DNG fingers crossed. It seems a large number of newly released cameras are doing the DNG thing so that's promising!

Yup! JPEG2000 and DNG fingers crossed. It seems a large number of newly released cameras are doing the DNG thing so that's promising!
My fingers are cramping from being crossed for so long. Problem is I dont see everyone going to the DNG standard for their RAW format. The best Nikon has done is putting a Tiff option in the newer cameras. But Id rather see the dng being used universally.

Adobe having somewhat of a monopoly may get the ball rolling. I didn't see a single DNG thread before the default import option for Lightroom became convert to DNG. Making people aware may be the first step.

Most reactions

Back