This is total bs

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
went to coles bookstore today to buy a couple photography books. I wanted to get a book that focused on how to properly light and take a picture of skin. I looked at the price it said 36$ american 49$ canadian. i asked the teller why we pay more when we have the higher valued currency. Apparently because they bought these books when the dollar was at .60 american. It boggled my mind that they still had books from over 3 years ago. So I guess im stuck with ordering books online.

The big one north of montana and newyork.

Are you trying to say $1 US should equal $1 Canadian? Just because they're both called a Dollar does not mean they are worth equal amounts. Many other countries have currency measured in Dollars but that does not automatically mean they are of equal value. A Ferrari and an Kia are both called automobiles, but they do not have the same value.

i think you misread his post sparky.

i think you misread his post sparky.

I guess the arena of international finances are beyond my comprehension.
headache-smiley.gif

What I dont understand is when the Canadian dollar was valued higher than the American dollar this past few months, why havent we in Canada payed less for books. Regardless of how old the book is.

So where is the "BS"? Sounds like common sense, basic business to me.
I am also scratching my head trying to figure out how this is a "Photographic Discussion" and not another "Off Topic" rant.

Kbarredo, check out www.abebooks.com you can get books very cheap there. I purchased a Photoshop 7 classroom book with a CD for a little over $3.

Kbarredo, check out www.abebooks.com you can get books very cheap there. I purchased a Photoshop 7 classroom book with a CD for a little over $3.

Well, I just bought:

Title: Understanding Exposure
Author: Bryan Peterson
Quantity: 1
Book Price: US$ 1.00

Title: Learning to See Creatively: How to Compose Great Photographs
Author: Bryan F. Peterson
Quantity: 1
Book Price: US$ 1.00

Of course, shipping is $9 per book, but it's still pretty darn inexpensive.

:D

So where is the "BS"? Sounds like common sense, basic business to me.
I am also scratching my head trying to figure out how this is a "Photographic Discussion" and not another "Off Topic" rant.
Because they do the same thing with books that came out last year when the canadian dollar was on par.

What I dont understand is when the Canadian dollar was valued higher than the American dollar this past few months, why havent we in Canada payed less for books. Regardless of how old the book is.
They claim that they bought these books when the dollar was only 60 cents american. Which is total crap because some of the books they have are only a year or 2 old.

Product sold in different countries is not directly affected by the currency.

The price differences on books in US vs. Canada (and the rest of the world) is based on pricing agreements between distribution channels and the manufacturer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back