This is what I want

kdabbagh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey... I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to achieve photos like these ones... I attempted it last night and I am too ashamed to even post the examples...just tell me if you can help me get the right settings to shoot like this with a D40x and a 18-135 lens.. I am particularly interested in shooting something like the second photo Thanksss

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/01247_highwayatnight_1280x800.jpg
http://interfacelift.com/dl/wallpaper/01345_nightofthegalaxie_1280x800.jpg

01345_nightofthegalaxie_1280x800.jpg

What you need is a tripod and a long shutter speed. It wouldn't hurt to have a remote shutter release so that you are not touching the camera to fire it.

What you need is a tripod and a long shutter speed. It wouldn't hurt to have a remote shutter release so that you are not touching the camera to fire it.

how can I set up my camera to a long shutter speed? And remote shutter release is something I have to purchase right? Any idea what the average price is?

Yeah I think the perfect thing would be tripod on the side of an overpass looking over to the highway below, with a remote release and maybe even a bulb exposure, and just hold it down till your done.

And yes you have to purchase the remote release, im not sure how much they run, do dslrs still have the cable release slot or is it only ir now?

The Shutter release should be around $20-$30 pretty much anywhere you can get it... You should be able to figure out how to do the long exposures in the manual.... I believe you can do it by just changing the shutter speed normall but go beyond numbers like 8, 6, 4 and in things like 3" 10" and even like 30" you have to experiment for the effect you want to get... how long the trails are etc

Remote

how can I set up my camera to a long shutter speed?
Read the manual :er:

I would put the camera into A mode (aperture priority) and set an aperture of F8 (for starters). If it's dark, the camera will probably set a long shutter speed.

Maybe a better option would be to put the camera into M mode and set both the shutter speed and aperture...it might take some experimentation to find out what will work for you.

You could also save yourself the cost of a remote, and use the timer function. Set your timer for, say, 10 seconds or so. The camera should stop shaking/vibrating by the time the shutter is released.
I normally would have recommended that as well...except that it makes it hard to catch a car where you want it, when using a 10 second delay. :)

I normally would have recommended that as well...except that it makes it hard to catch a car where you want it, when using a 10 second delay. :)

ahh, yes, right. It's the end of a school-day, with students who don't want to be back from vacation, my back went out, and the autoshop isn't finished with my car yet - grrrr - I need a sofa.

Remotes are fun anyhow, you may as well get one.

Its sucks that they don't make a shutter release cable for the D40 line...<sigh>. But i hear the remote works great! I haven't got the remote yet but use the 10 second timer.

Instead of a remote you can use a piece of cardboard with the lense hood off. Hold the card in front of the lense, press the shutter for how ever long you are going to keep it open. Shoot in Shutter priority in bulb and, depending on ISO speed how the shutter open for 1 or 2 seconds. Dont use a really high ISO though. Just play with it till you get what you want.

Do you really need to do all that? I was trying to do the same thing last week i knew it wouldn't come out perfect without a tripod but I did get the light trails I was trying to get. this pic isn't very clear but Like i said I was just fooling around with long shutter speeds
DSC01775.jpg

Most reactions

Back