This is what you don't want to slither across the trail right in front of you...ever

ceeboy14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
About a 4 foot, 3" diameter Water Moccasin. I am not sure who went the fastest, me or him...that'll put a little extra dry in your spit.

$Water-Mocassin.jpg

What? And no close up shot of its face ;)

You stopped for a shot before you ran? Well done!!!

Yikes! I hope that was like a 500mm lens on your camera!!

:)

I spend a lot of time in the woods. I saw a friend dancing once. Turned out he stepped on a pygmy rattler. I don't see many venomous snakes, though. I did catch pics of a gorgeous canebreak rattler once. Moccasins suck. Mean snakes.

I hate it when a water moccasin won't pose right for a photo.

Our deserts here are filled with rattlers. No water snakes though. All part of the circle of life. I've done some portrait work with a few venomous snakes lol. Just give them space and you'll be fine.

I would rather miss the shot, don't like these specially when they are beast size!

I went back there yesterday with a group of rangers from the park. They capture them and release to areas in the park off limits to visitors. But, wily old boy he is, he was long gone. We see banded water snakes all the time, black racers, garter snakes, kings, etc. but it is a rare moment when we do come across one like this guy. I wear LL Bean high top boots most days and I know I am going to be near tall grass areas, I have a pair of rattlesnakes chaps as well - just so damn hot to hang on you when the temps are in the high 90's and the humidity the same...still better than a moccasin, copperhead, pigmy or diamondback rattler, canebrakes, or corals biting you as a way to make your acquaintance.

It was a 400mm lens and I was a good 8-10 feet from him when I made the shot. I made the shot after making a hasty retreat. Moccasins are nasty and given the instigation, will chase you, a thought I don't relish at all. It was only after allowing him to retreat into the palmettos that I made the shot. Safety first. Be careful out there!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back