THIS is why I hate college

I feel your frustration rex. I hated going to see my advisor. My nursing program was pretty cut and dry for the most part. We had to get all of the non-nursing courses out of the way before applying for the program. It was based on a points system. Getting in to the program was the hard part. It was really cut throat, and competitive. Thank god it is over. I hated nursing school. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit, but just think about the end rex. There is an end. Once you have your degree they can't take it away. Good luck buddy.
p.s. What is your degree in? I didn't see it in this thread.

Ah, yeah my mom is a nurse and she always talks about how intense nursing programs are and how incredibly strict the entrance is into nursing school. The good thing though is that nursing is in demand so it's not as hard to find jobs...I assume. Lol

My degree will be in University Studies. It's basically a glorified gen. studies degree that doesn't sound AS lame, but is just as lame in reality. Unemployment here I come! :p

I know it sucks to be working so hard and thinking that you were almost done, just to find out that someone else's incompetence means you're not, in fact, done. It can be really discouraging. But I really think you should make the most of it and take a class or two just for the fun of it. If you need to just add credits to get to full-time level, then you have a chance to take something really fun and completely impractical, and you might not have this opportunity again for a very long time.

I shared the story of my own frustration at the end of college, and I did manage to finish my degree in 3.5 years, so you'd think that I hated college and couldn't wait to get out. The reality is that I loved it and would have stayed in college forever if I could have. (I suppose in a way I did, since I then went to grad school and ended up as a community college professor ;) ) When I first started college, all I could think of was how thrilling it was that my only real job for the next four years was to just learn stuff. And I really did - I took all kinds of classes, even after I settled on a Linguistics major. So yes, there are the required classes you have to take, but for the other credits, you can take anything you want. That can be really exciting!

I'm totally biased, but if it's offered, you should totally take an Intro to Linguistics class ;) I can help you with the homework!

So does anybody else have college horror stories (or glory stories)?

I am not college material.. school was frustrating and difficult. I had all the intentions of going to a trade school of some sort. I couldn't admit it to my father until he figured it out himself. He convinced me to give it a try.... he supported whatever my decision afterwards. He just wanted me to give it my best shot.

It was just as frustrating.. felt like dropping out many times. I drank and partied a lot to compensate.

I worked with my university to prove my worth hands-on... worked out a course study heavy in projects. Did a co-op education program and netted a work-study program.

Took 7 years and working throughout the college as well as a paid co-op.

Graduated with no debt and the work-study experience netted me a job with the company co-op'd.

Relocated across the country for my new position and bought our home within 6 months of graduation. (also got married)

Laid off in 1 year.

Bounced around from job to job... 2 years of unemployment... near bankruptcy.

Worked startups and fields outside my career path for almost nothing to build up skills. This is when I started to open my eyes.... to my strengths.

See.... My high school is highly competitive producing very successful and very academically strong people... many of which have the world at their finger-tips. I measured myself against them and always felt like I finished last. What the college and the first couple of years in the real world has taught me are my strengths that fall outside what can be measured by degrees, grades, and semesters. Now, I'm doing just fine. I am able to compete with much higher educated people at work... never forgetting were I came from and always learning from those willing to teach. Always willing to teach others. I work at a company that historically only employs the advanced educated. I am one of the very few without a post-graduate education. I am a jack of all trades of sorts... a reputation built around getting things done with no fear to venture into the unknown. These are my strengths.

What has this experience taught you? Once you truly figure that out (it could be some years down the road), your current frustrations will seem small. Others would have already traveled a different but also difficult path and already see this. (hopefully responding in a mature and positive manner... always keeping an open ear no matter)

I Truly Hated College But I Wouldn't Trade That Experience In For Anything.

If you didn't hear that ... I truly HATED college. It was not for me. It was not how I learn.

I know its seems difficult now but you are working a great opportunity to earn a college education AND fall in what many would consider college material. An extra year is not going to be the end of the world... even though it sucks. I doubt an extra year justifies "hating" college...

Last edited:
So does anybody else have college horror stories (or glory stories)?

I am not college material.. school was frustrating and difficult. I had all the intentions of going to a trade school of some sort. I couldn't admit it to my father until he figured it out himself. He convinced me to give it a try.... he supported whatever my decision afterwards. He just wanted me to give it my best shot.

It was just as frustrating.. felt like dropping out many times. I drank and partied a lot to compensate.

I worked with my university to prove my worth hands-on... worked out a course study heavy in projects. Did a co-op education program and netted a work-study program.

Took 7 years and working throughout the college as well as a paid co-op.

Graduated with no debt and the work-study experience netted me a job with the company co-op'd.

Relocated across the country for my new position and bought our home within 6 months of graduation. (also got married)

Laid off in 1 year.

Bounced around from job to job... 2 years of unemployment... near bankruptcy.

Worked startups and fields outside my career path for almost nothing to build up skills. This is when I started to open my eyes.... to my strengths.

See.... My high school is highly competitive producing very successful and very academically strong people... many of which have the world at their finger-tips. I measured myself against them and always felt like I finished last. What the college and the first couple of years in the real world has taught me are my strengths that fall outside what can be measured by degrees, grades, and semesters. Now, I'm doing just fine. I am able to compete with much higher educated people at work... never forgetting were I came from and always learning from those willing to teach. Always willing to teach others. I work at a company that historically only employs the advanced educated. I am one of the very few without a post-graduate education. I am a jack of all trades of sorts... a reputation built around getting things done with no fear to venture into the unknown. These are my strengths.

What has this experience taught you? Once you truly figure that out (it could be some years down the road), your current frustrations will seem small. Others would have already traveled a different but also difficult path and already see this. (hopefully responding in a mature and positive manner... always keeping an open ear no matter)

I Truly Hated College But I Wouldn't Trade That Experience In For Anything.

If you didn't hear that ... I truly HATED college. It was not for me. It was not how I learn.

I know its seems difficult now but you are working a great opportunity to earn a college education AND fall in what many would consider college material. An extra year is not going to be the end of the world... even though it sucks. I doubt an extra year justifies "hating" college...

Oh don't worry, I've hated college since I've started attending, so this isn't the beginning haha. This was just an instance where I thought that maybe I could see the finish line and it was pushed back once again (I was supposed to graduate this December but the adviser overlooked like 6 hours that I had to take that she originally told me I didn't need. How that's possible...I don't know.) I just remember I was angry during registration last semester too.

That's the thing lol. I am college material. I can follow rules - IF they're made clear - and I am good at finding patterns in professors' exams/teaching. The key to quantitative success in college seems to be the ability to go through the motions as easily as possible, even if that's not a great way to actually gain much knowledge.

On the flip side, however, I have very little practical knowledge. I mean, I can work on a farm or a ranch, but in terms of life skills, I have few. I kind of wish I had taken a year off just so I could get a feel for life outside of academia, but my dad gave me the advice to get it over with as soon as possible. He paid his way through college for 7 years, going to his family's farm every other semester to save up for the next, and I don't think he ever got a degree because of his sporadic attendance. As a result, he said to just barrel right through it, otherwise, if I did take a break I might not want to go back at all.

I get your frustration. Universities have to suck money out of you as much as possible and with you and your scholarship, they have at the very least gotten one extra class paid for. I get that and it sucks. Advisers tend to have their head up their @$$ most of the time. Personally I had to know my grad requirements inside and out myself because I couldn't count on an adviser for anything. You will make it, you will calm down and eventually you will graduate.

Save this thread, look back on it after being out of college for a year, then again at 5 years etc.... I know some of us here sound like *******s, but in 5 years you might understand some of the thoughts better. Its all about perspective.

I loved every second of college, I'm sorry you aren't experiencing the same thing. Its crazy to me that a University Studies degree has cost you every summer, but really, it wasn't the summers that made college great for me. It was being in class, learning something, meeting people and learning about how to be an adult. I went to trade school while in high school so that I could work a job with a decent income during the summer, to help pay for my University degree. I worked 2-3 jobs at a time during the school year while keeping a full time status (18 hours/semester).

The most advice that I have for you (albeit unsolicited) is to find a class that is interesting to you personally, one that isn't going to be so heavy that it distracts you from the courses that you need. Enjoy your time as much as possible, because in the words of Dennis Leary "life's gonna suck when you grow up, it sucks pretty bad right now".

The really important part of college is the hanging around with other idiots like yourself, smoking clove cigarettes and arguing about Nietzche.

I'm not even joking here. It's about being in a group of other people going through the same experience, seeking understanding and knowledge, after a fashion. The coursework itself hardly matters, except as a source of crap to argue about it, and a little training in how to think.

The really important part of college is the hanging around with other idiots like yourself, smoking clove cigarettes and arguing about Nietzche.

I'm not even joking here. It's about being in a group of other people going through the same experience, seeking understanding and knowledge, after a fashion. The coursework itself hardly matters, except as a source of crap to argue about it, and a little training in how to think.

Oh god, I forgot about the clove cigarettes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back