This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Birds

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bird feeder is still pretty dead. I thought these two had moved on, I might be wrong about that. They had (or still do) a nest in my roof. American Kestrel, the smallest of all North American Falcons. He's getting a little more accustomed to me, I never could get this close before. These were taken right out my front door, he was on the roof.

001 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

003 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

033 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

048 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

Whoa, dude, that's pretty cool! That's one bird I've never really gotten a decent shot of; see them a good bit, but they're off like a rocket long before you can sneak close enough.
I know it's bad news for getting songbirds in your yard, but dang! It's still cool. :D

They are pretty hard to shoot! I think people see pictures of them, but still don't realize how small they are. And they always have to be up as high as possible, even when they land. They have been nesting in my roof for three months and these are the best shots I've gotten so far, and I usually see at least one of them nearly every day.

Last edited:
Just wait until they start teaching the youngster to fly. You're in for a treat!

I agree that pictures don't tell the size of a bird.Chickadee's captured up close look large in picture's but in reality the are smaller then a sparrow.Hence you did a great job making the bird look larger then life and with sharp detail and allows one like my self that never seen one in real life to see how they look.:thumbup:

Very cool! I have seen exactly 1 wild Kestrel and it was very far away.

Very nice shots of a gorgeous bird! Thanks for my first look at one.

wow that bird is beautiful./

Gorgeous! Just want to kiss his little head. And agreed - great job on getting such good pictures. Little birds are infuriatingly fast little buggers.

what a cute little birdie! You're so lucky to have a nest at your place, all we have are common mynas :(

Man what a neat little bird for a bird of prey. Stunning looking with the colours and I must say. pretty darn cute !! Wonderful details in the feathers huh, just love this one. Wish I had those living close by ;) If you just sit out in the backyard, no camera and just have a coffee or two, these might just get really use to you Jason.

All the best Jason and what a beautiful bird they are.

Danny.

Gorgeous little bird, Jason. And your shooting just gets better and better! Lee

Most reactions

New Topics

Back