This Just Happened

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was in subway a little while ago today ... just eating by myself, it was pouring down rain and this young black woman came in and stood in line, had arms folded, decided what she'd have.

I happened to look over and ... I know everyone here has these kind of moments (right?) ... her arm was wet from the rain, and there were all these alternating shiny spots alternating with the dry spots on her arm, and it it was just incredible. I couldn't take my eyes off her arm. I literally stared at her arm for at least a minute. She didn't notice me, or at least didn't give on that she did. I wanted to take a picture of it so badly, to say "hey can you freeze for a second while I, a shabbily-dressed complete stranger, takes pictures of your wet arm?"

And then the moment was gone. She got a call on her cell, and that was it.

Dunno why ... just thought i'd post it. Does anyone ever ask strangers to let them shoot, when just happen upon something beautiful?

Unless I'm taking a shot where the person is recognizable I just shoot, carefully and sneakily but shoot. Practice shooting sideways and backwards and in all kinds of lighting. It's better now with digital. Lots better than burning through a 36 exposure roll of 35mm.

Unless I'm taking a shot where the person is recognizable I just shoot, carefully and sneakily but shoot. Practice shooting sideways and backwards and in all kinds of lighting. It's better now with digital. Lots better than burning through a 36 exposure roll of 35mm.
I don't know why you think it is easier with digital if you take a light reading film will take it perfectly as soon as I'm in different lighting I take a reading with my handheld meter so I'm always ready, I never ask I just take the shot because as soon as you ask the moment has gone

Not easier to take the picture just easier with digital, and RAW, to take a bunch of shots bracketed to be sure to get one usable one. Easier than when I'd burn through 36 exposures of Tri-X and have to push process just to get a usable shot. I don't use a handheld meter so the camera sits in Auto mode so it does that metering as the scene changes.

Not easier to take the picture just easier with digital, and RAW, to take a bunch of shots bracketed to be sure to get one usable one. Easier than when I'd burn through 36 exposures of Tri-X and have to push process just to get a usable shot. I don't use a handheld meter so the camera sits in Auto mode so it does that metering as the scene changes.
You will be ok with tri x when you learn to read a meter and get it with one shot

Not quite sure why you take the approach you do. Doesn't seem that making ugly insulting assumptions is the correct way to respond to discussions on photography.

Not quite sure why you take the approach you do. Doesn't seem that making ugly insulting assumptions is the correct way to respond to discussions on photography.
Sorry buddy, but I agree with dennybeall. I don't think he was out of line, just making a point. You are very proud of your machine gun style, I can see, but he is equally proud of his abilities. IMHO, a good photographer should understand light well enough to catch the shot at the critical moment. This comes with, study, practice, and experience. Try reading the light and shoot manual and you will be very surprised that you may be smarter than the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on the situation. At least you were just staring at her arm... Your intention was photography related but wanting an up close picture, I don't know, it could be very uncomfortable for the woman having a man who's a stranger approach her.

I don't think this is OT, but if it is, please feel free to ignore it:

I have often had similar experiences, and I think one of the biggest deterrents for me is thinking about what the subject (the lady, in this case) might say to me, or do, if she caught me taking a photo of her. This fear, or anxiety, or whatever it is, often prevents me from taking the photo (I'm new to photography, so maybe it's also a little related to a lack of confidence). I get this feeling that if I take the photo without her permission, I'm doing something wrong, or shameful.

Do you other photogs experience this, but push on anyway? Or is it more that you don't have those feelings.

If you do end up taking the shot, is it likely that the subject will confront you on it? Or is it just an irrational fear?

I shoot a lot of Street and a lot of strangers. I would size up the moment and decide if I should:

1) Ask for permission (In this situation I think it would be hard to produce a camera and take your shot without her being oblivious to it all.);

2) Just do it and smile after; or

3) Debate if the shot was worth the effort and trouble to ask ... putting myself in an uncomfortable position of talking to a stranger ... and have them call security, or insult me, or just say "No", et cetera;

I have learned that most people, when asked nicely, will not refuse. On the Street, the problem with asking, is the moment is lost. The emotion/look/et al which you sought to capture is also gone the instant you open your mouth. On the Street I shoot first and talk later. But this was different and I see your dilemma. Just remember that by just sitting there doing nothing you ain't gonna get the shot ... by asking permission ... you at least have a chance.

PS- My personal code is not to 'Sneak' a shot. So that wasn't an option for me.

Not an insult but what do you expect shooting in auto

Auto, or in most cases Programmed Auto (P), is a useful tool to leave the camera set on when not in use. If you need to just grab it and shoot you have a very good chance of getting the shot. Once the critical time has passed you can use the various settings available in order to get the best results.
Nice thing about these modern cameras is they have all kinds of useful features if one just takes time to learn to use them.

Not an insult but what do you expect shooting in auto

Auto, or in most cases Programmed Auto (P), is a useful tool to leave the camera set on when not in use. If you need to just grab it and shoot you have a very good chance of getting the shot. Once the critical time has passed you can use the various settings available in order to get the best results.
Nice thing about these modern cameras is they have all kinds of useful features if one just takes time to learn to use them.
I know all about shooting in auto, my 2 main cameras only have manual if I want auto I have an A7 that never gets used

I think we all have moments like this. I was at a big car show last year and I walked pass this old high rise building built in 1913 and it had some stunning all hand carved stonework on the side and I quickly noticed the details and began taking pictures...a few people walked by and asked what I was taking pictures of? I'm like, the stonework...and they'll be like...ohhh, I lived here for 30 years and never noticed it.

Most reactions

Back